Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grease or oil up the inside where it meets the shaft.  Lightly grease or oil the outside so it doesn't pinch while going in.   I prefer pressing as hard as possible by hand until it's centered, tap until flush with the head.  I had an older ej22 head with a chamfered hole on the driver side.  In this case, using the old seal flipped around would allow me to push the new seal further in.  Don't bottom it out, the goal is to push the seal in just enough so the outer area makes full contact in the metal hole and holds tight.

Oh the snout with the oring, silicone grease or oil is ok.

Edited by nvu

16 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Lube the ID of the seal. Dow 111 is my preferred lubricant. If you really want to make sure the seal never walks out, run loctite 268 around the OD before you put it in. The next guy will hate you though. 

GD

Will Permatex Ultra Slick assembly lube or motor oil work instead of Dow 111. Don't have any Dow 111 on hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, montana tom said:

Either will work fine. I usually swab a finger thru some white lube and give a wipe on the id and the snout. Using loctite  on the od  is a good idea, iv'e had them come in the shop with a cam seal popped out. 

What kind of white lube are you using. Don't see any white lube at nappa.

Lubriplate assembly lube is what I use on rods, mains, and cams. Any journals. Would work for the seals also. The Dow 111 really protects the seals and especially o-rings. Coating the nitrile rubber o-rings in 111 keeps oxygen from getting to the rubber and that's really what is responsible for making them hard and crack. Oxygen and heat. 111 is amazing stuff to have on hand in any garage. Besides lubricating any and all seals, oil filter gaskets, etc - it is also a perfect dielectric grease for all electrical connections including plugs and wires. 

Don't lubricate the OD of the seal. It can and will pop back out. Using the loctite 248 stick will provide for smooth installation and quickly cure making it almost impossible for the seal to come back out on it's own. Indeed - quite a lot of force and red hot cursing will be involved in its removal. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1