Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone? i need to know if it would damage the trans to drive it about 20 miles with only the external cooler i installed. i want to get to my friends house so i can get the fitting thats leaking from my old radiator. the cooler is 4 inches wide by 10 inches long and its mounted right behind the grill so it gets airflow blown right throgh it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

I considered doing this some time back. However, after checking available space in front of the radiator, I gave up on that idea,  just not enough room, and just too awkward to install. It made a lot more sense to install a new radiator, as I figured the rest of my old radiator wasn't worth saving. Seemed it cost about $100, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. It was super easy to install. It was then, that I realized that a new radiator was the best and easiest solution.

I bought mine on line, Chinese manufactured, never have had a problem with it.

well the point is that i have an external cooler already. i figured it out myself i just drove it there and pulled over regularly and checked the trans temp at the pan with a point and click temp gun. unfortunately the fitting on the old radiator is not the same so i messed with the flare end a bit and got it to i tihnk seal up. the trans actually runs around 40 degrees hotter using the radiator cooler vs the 4 inch by 10 inch external cooler. im going to run it throght he radiator cooler a few days to be sure its not leaking then im probly going to hook up the external cooler in line with it as well as long as no leaks from the original one.

If you only run the external cooler and not through the radiator it will take the transmission significantly longer to warm up especially on the cold days here in CT. 

These transmissions don't typically have an issue were they fail due to them being overheated (excluding the SVXs lol) so running an external cooler doesn't really do much but hurt fuel economy due to the increase in warm up time. 

The transmission fluid going through the radiator actually helps warm up the transmission with the heat transfer from coolant. 

Generally lower is better for trans fluid. To a point of course. I run my 700R4 with only independent coolers and on most days it doesn't get up past about 130-140 degrees. Indeed it shifts harder and engages more positively with lower fluid temps (higher line pressure). Trans builders will tell you that anything over 170 will shorten the auto transmission clutch life. If you run no coolant heat exchanger definitely use synthetic as it will perform and flow better at lower temps. 

GD

well i messed with it again today couldn't stop the leak i could get it to a very slow seeping if i added a rubber washer but no matter how much i tighten it it still leaks. im about to give up and run it with only the external cooler for now. i have a point and click temp gun whats is considered too hot for transmission fluid? i would be pointing the temp gun at the bottom of the trans pan. this way i can watch how hot it gets after a few trips and see if it is enough cooling for it.