Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ambient Temperature - 2019 Impreza

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2019 Impreza.  The ambient temperature always seems to be showing as several degrees warmer than the actual temperature outside.  Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?  I can understand maybe a degree or two, but it always seems to be up by at least four or five degrees (I’ve seen it as much as ten).  The dealership says that it’s operating normally.

It’s not really a huge deal since it has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the car, but I’m a bit of a perfectionist and it’s going to drive me nuts, lol.  I previously drove a 2015 Impreza and didn’t notice this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

As you observed the readings from that sensor really don't matter. 

What do you propose doing about it? Unfortunately the dealer is unlikely to do anything. Complain loudly enough and maybe they change the sensor - likely leading to no resolution since it's probably a design flaw in the location of the sensor. It's pretty unlikely the sensor is actually bad on a 2019. 

Only permanent solution I can think of is trading it in. Or therapy. I mean really what's the difference what the exact temperature outside is anyway?

.....100 years ago people actually walked outside or opened a window and checked the weather. Doesn't really seem all that difficult to me. The actual number doesn't seem all that useful. No car I have ever owned personally shows this information and I can't really see how it would be useful. My phone tells the weather and the forecast too so.....

GD

• Haha 1

Notwithstanding grandpa's position, pitch a bitch with SOA and they will change the sensor under warranty if it is that inaccurate.

They replaced my inaccurate clock under warranty even though I could have relied on the sun's position to approximate time.

Hopefully they won't muck up something else while replacing it ;-)

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

I find that the ambient temperature gage is particularly useful as the outside temperature drops to near freezing.

If the gage was out by several degrees, especially if it was reading high, the driver could be lulled into a false sense of security (ice wise).

If for no other reason, I would expect that Subaru would want the gage to read reasonably accurately.

• Like 2

The ambient temperature always seems to be showing as several degrees warmer than the actual temperature outside.  Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?

what are you using as a comparison? And are you actually moving, or sitting still when you note these discrepancies?

I have found that most bank or other signs that display temperature or more often than not incorrect.. there are a couple in town near me right next to each other, and they are invariably 3-5 degrees different from each other - and they are frequently higher than the reported "official" temperature.

I have noticed with my 2002 Forester, that if the car is sitting still, with the sun beating on it, the temp will read a bit higher than "actual", but once moving, it is much more accurate.

15 hours ago, forester2002s said:

I find that the ambient temperature gage is particularly useful as the outside temperature drops to near freezing.

If the gage was out by several degrees, especially if it was reading high, the driver could be lulled into a false sense of security (ice wise).

If for no other reason, I would expect that Subaru would want the gage to read reasonably accurately.

Ground temps and ambient air temps are often not in agreement. Freezing rain for example.... it's not as useful as you might think. If it's within 5 degrees of freezing either way you should ASSUME there could be ice. No judge is going to absolve you of idiotic behavior because your cars ambient air sensor said it wasn't freezing. LoL. Useless.....

GD

4 hours ago, Tony Soprano said:

I understand all sides here.  I guess with me its just a matter of principle. A brand new, expensive piece of equipment such as a car should be working 100% as intended.  

It probably is. The tolerance on that sensor, which isn't mission critical, is probably +/- 5% around average ambient temps (70ish degrees F). You appear to be even closer than that. 

There are a LOT of variables in play when it comes to sampling ambient temperatures. What are you calibrating the car's sensor against? Conditions above asphalt on a sunny day WILL be different than 20 yards away over grass for example.

It is not that simple and only a simpleton would believe it to be that simple. This is not a nuclear reactor - the sensor is a $0.10 thermistor inside a plastic housing designed to be a gadget in a consumer product - one that in 99.99% of prospective buyers will never be questioned.

The problem is your expectations and your understanding of the variables at play in taking these measurements. It's actually amazing the thing reads within 2-3 degrees. That is plenty accurate for the needs of anyone performing the activity of driving. 

GD

On 9/23/2018 at 5:46 PM, heartless said:

what are you using as a comparison? And are you actually moving, or sitting still when you note these discrepancies?

I have found that most bank or other signs that display temperature or more often than not incorrect.. there are a couple in town near me right next to each other, and they are invariably 3-5 degrees different from each other - and they are frequently higher than the reported "official" temperature.

I have noticed with my 2002 Forester, that if the car is sitting still, with the sun beating on it, the temp will read a bit higher than "actual", but once moving, it is much more accurate.

Mainly the temperature from two different weather apps on my cell phone.  I know that the temperature will be a lot higher when first getting into a car on a sunny day, but this even happens when it’s cooler and pouring down rain.  I’ve even seen the temperature increase as I’ve been driving.

Weather apps from your phone?!? C'mon. That's  not science. You have no idea where they get this information, if anything it's a weather station on top of a building somewhere far from the surface streets. Air temperature is not equivalent to surface street temperature. FAIL. 

Come back with real data. Get a temp sensor and mount it near the factory unit. Or this discussion is worthless. 

GD

19 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It probably is. The tolerance on that sensor, which isn't mission critical, is probably +/- 5% around average ambient temps (70ish degrees F). You appear to be even closer than that. 

There are a LOT of variables in play when it comes to sampling ambient temperatures. What are you calibrating the car's sensor against? Conditions above asphalt on a sunny day WILL be different than 20 yards away over grass for example.

It is not that simple and only a simpleton would believe it to be that simple. This is not a nuclear reactor - the sensor is a $0.10 thermistor inside a plastic housing designed to be a gadget in a consumer product - one that in 99.99% of prospective buyers will never be questioned.

The problem is your expectations and your understanding of the variables at play in taking these measurements. It's actually amazing the thing reads within 2-3 degrees. That is plenty accurate for the needs of anyone performing the activity of driving. 

GD

Okay, but what variables would cause a situation such as this evening (61 degrees and pouring down rain)?  I went out to dinner and got into my car.  The thermostat read 64.  Close enough - no big deal.  By the time I got to the exit of the parking lot, the thermostat was reading that it was 71 degrees.  After I pulled out and got onto the highway, the temperature dropped again.

I understand that there are different variables such as the sun, etc, but I have owned several cars with ambient temperature indicators.  This has only happened with this car.  I love the car and I get that something like this shouldn’t really be that big of a deal, but again, I just feel that an investment like a brand new car shouldn’t be having any kind of issue.

4 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The variable is your PHONE APP. That's the variable. You have no idea where they get this information. It's probably from a national weather service and is second hand or third hand or more levels removed from the reality of the temps on the ground. 

GD

Your point about the phone app is fair.  However, I was just outside with my neighbor about 15 minutes ago.  How is the thermostat in his 2018 Legacy reading 60 right now while mine is reading 72?  His car is parked right behind mine.  Current temperature (per the atomic clock temperature on my front porch - not my phone) is 61 degrees and rain.  

You make good points but something is clearly off.

Edited by Tony Soprano

The variable might just be Tony Soprano's hot temper :)

Go sit in a few subies at your local dealer and check the temperature readings.

If they are more in line with your app (or even each other +/-) and markedly different as compared to yours then there is something amiss with your sensor.

That would be the scientificological approach as I understand it from reading Roller Derby Monthly magazine...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brus brother said:

The variable might just be Tony Soprano's hot temper :)

Go sit in a few subies at your local dealer and check the temperature readings.

If they are more in line with your app (or even each other +/-) and markedly different as compared to yours then there is something amiss with your sensor.

That would be the scientificological approach as I understand it from reading Roller Derby Monthly magazine...

That’s the plan tomorrow evening.  My app is within a degree of my neighbor (who drives a 2018 Legacy) so it’s not that off.  

On 9/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

12 degrees is a bit to far, and with two other local sources of temperature including one being a similar model Subaru I would then be willing to agree it's probably a bad sensor. Overwhelming preponderance of evidence suggests you have a legitimate complaint. 

Thank you!