Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Working on a 2008 Legacy, I just finished replacing both CV axles with good ones from O'Reillys. I'm in a out of the way rural small town and they didn't have two rebuilt ones (I've heard the rebuilt ones are better) so I ended up getting one rebuilt one and one new one. Now I'm having problems with the ABS pulsing when breaking and sometimes getting an error 55 on the instrument cluster display. I inspected the sensors and they appear okay. Has anyone dealt with a similar issue before?

Edited by iriejedi

2 hours ago, brus brother said:

If you are questioning the one axle, did you return your old cv axles?? reboot the better of them and replace the one you are in doubt of (new one not rebuilt)

Do the code readers tell you which corner the issue is located at?

The code readers don't give much information as to where the problem is. From what I understand for detailed codes you need special Subaru diagnostic equipment. I thought about buying another CV axle from a different auto parts store in a different town but ended up telling my friend to take it to Subaru to have a true diagnostic on the ABS and what's up. These axles don't look like they communicate with ABS system like the old phase two cars did. My suspicion is the ABS sensor communicates with something inside the Hub.

On an 00-04 . The abs sensor is magnetic , mounts thru the hub and reads directly from the axle. The ring heartless showed is the 90's version, the 00-04 have it built on the cv axle itself. . Pretty sure the "newer " ones are the same .  It has to read a turning part to know what the tire is doing. 

Sorry guys it's a 2008. Either way from what it looks like the pickup is within the factory sealed hub. Not the axle. Changing an axle shouldn't create ABS problems. Just trying to confirm this and was curious if anyone else has delt with that before. In the older Subaru Legacy's like 2000 - 2004 there where notches on the axle. This is not the case from 2005 and up. As for the "tone ring" Mr Heartless spoke of, that's way old school 90's Subaru ABS. 

Edited by iriejedi
  • Like 1