Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement front shock absorbers for '85 Vortex XT

Drano

Hi everyone, replacing the front shocks on my Vortex XT has been messing with my head!

I ordered what so many internet sites say are replacement KYB shocks for my FWD non-turbo.. which is 333234 and 333235 .. but both new ones are a fraction longer at the bottom (up to the spring seat) than my current shocks (new ones are 28 centimetres or 11 in., current old ones a little over 20 centimetres), even though all the bottom mountings match up. I suspect these new ones put the spring higher for the 4WD version? Some internet sites say KYB used to offer 333228 and 333229 but they're now discontinued. A call to KYB in Aust confirmed this.

Has anyone in Australia replaced the front shocks on a "regular" Vortex - and what part did you use?

Thanks all..

(The rear ones I'm hoping will be easier - I'm ordering KYB 341214)

IMG_20180924_132003.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update on the front shocks - after many weeks of trying to source something to fit the original spring seat height, or using the KYB 333234/5 shocks I'd bought and changing springs, a suspension shop pointed me in the direction of a place that reconditions shock absorbers.

So I sent the Vortex to WW Shock Absorbers in north Brisbane, where they renewed the front shocks, and the front rack as well (power steering fluid had been leaking into it).

The KYB 341214 pair on the back is now fitted too.

Next job.. restoring the front seats.

vortex edit.jpg

Yes, they have information and cutaway examples at the front desk, showing how they rebuild the struts.

When I dropped off the car, they had 2 old 60s Rover sedans up on the hoists, so I imagine there would be owners of older models that are in the same situation I faced.

There are 2 places in my state capital doing this, so there must be the demand here?

Somewhere outside Brisbane a collector bought three XTs off a friend. The AWD turbo auto one was in storage in Brisbane 15 years then sold to Sydney then sold on again a further 300 km south being trailered each time. For its return trip it drove on a permit some 1200 km and didntdidn't miss a beat. Keep an eye out for them. Plans were for red interior and chrome body wrap exexterior !