Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plastic Welding

nipper

I still have my outback, but I also now have a CRX. The CRX is in great shape (Grandma car) but it has a big broken rear plastic panel in the driver side rear of the car which rattles. I know glue is worthless. Has anyone tried plastic welding these panels. (Subaru, Honda, Ford its all the same plastic)

Hey Nip!

I don’t recommend listening to me with body work but I’ve done it to bumper covers on Toyota’s and Subarus.  Take spare bumper scrap or ive even used zip ties as “soldering wire”.  Get a soldering iron or other heat device and locally melt the pieces together using the scrap as additional filler. 

oh yeah that might be trickier.  if you're going to replace it, and it's just dangling all wonky would it hurt to try a repair of some sort? 

be good to find out why they stress and crack there - door seems likely?  anyway to remedy that?  or passengers or seat belt....?

Edited by idosubaru

18 hours ago, nipper said:

I may try to fix it and eventually replace the panel. There are some multi part epoxies that are supposedly good for it. Its broken by the seat belt.

Might be able to reinforce the backside with some 1/4" or finer mesh screen then apply your bonding epoxy. Use some clips to hold everything in place then bond it. 

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50139-Plastic-Adhesive/dp/B01IBOK7FE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538053852&sr=8-3&keywords=jb+weld+for+plastic

• Like 1