Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Timing Belt on Ej25

What is the proper procedure of installing Timing belt on ej25 with engine in car. I'm missing my left index finger due to accident decades ago. When I put the toothed pulley next to last and the lower idler pullet last, always have to fight to get the toothed pulleys bolt started. When I put the tensioner pulley on last I fight to get that  bolt started. So I'm looking for a solution for a guy with a compromised left hand. 

Edited by steve56

We have had the gates belts fail before 105k with no contributing factors. More than once. We will not use any gates products at this point. They have misrepresented their kits, changed parts to Chinese without warning, and made promises they didn't keep. We buy a LOT of timing components and we buy the individual pieces from the manufacturers Subaru uses at the factories. Mitsuboshi, Koyo, NTN, NSK, and Aisin. 

GD

• Like 1

This seems to work sometimes and not others.  I always use Subaru belts thigh. 

Install all pulleys including the toothed sprocket, except the lower passengers side pulley.  Install the pulleys without fully tensioning the bolts so the pulleys have a little play.

Install belt and try to push it onto the toothed pulley last. It won’t go on.  Place a socket on each cam sprocket, while maintaining proper engagement and tension between the belt and cam sprocket teeth so it doesn’t slip, and gently turn each sprocket in the direction that provides Slack to the toothed pulley area (CCW for PS and CW for DS).  Then get the belt to just barely engage over the teeth barely on and right and walk it back fully a millimeter at a time.  

• Like 1