Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 4wd wagon transmission input shaft seal

I have a 78 wagon and my clutch started slipping.  I bought a replacement clutch and while the motor/transmission were separated I noticed that the pressure plate/clutch disc and the backside of the flywheel all appear to be oil free but there is a fair amount of oil in the transmission bell housing.  This leads me to believe the front oil seal is gone but my Chilton and Haynes guides don't show a front oil seal which seems very bizarre to me.  I also don't physically see an oil seal which also seems strange.  Is there an oil seal deeper in the transmission that may have failed, did the old one disintegrate or am I just getting a false positive?  Thanks for all the help keeping this on the road guys!

update: I found reference on this forum to the main shaft seal being buried inside the case here: 

considering it doesn't appear to be leaking badly and pulling the motor is pretty painless on these cars I'm going to leave it at this time.

Thanks!

Edited by recreshooter
update