Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 stock spring height.

Hello,

After MUCH searching of here (and elsewhere) I have almost every Spec ever wanted, save one. I've read the writeups, they are awesome. I have spring load, loose length, total strut length collapsed and not, inner and outer spring diameter, etc. But I cannot seem to find just the standard loaded height of the EA82 wagon front springs! Something has gone hinky in my camber, and the ride height doesn't look quite right, but I do not have the stock height written down. Not the full shock length loaded, or the car ride height, just the spring itself. 

So, could someone please walk out to their EA82 wagon and measure the spring length from bottom of the tophat to bottom of perch with the car just sitting on the ground?

I would really appreciate it, thank you.

-Charlie

Edited by charles_thomas
Spelling errrorrrrsss

I have read what you want, but don't have what you want. I suppose you know Subaru manuals measure vehicle clearance height from centre of the inner lower control arm bolt?

Might help others to see what measurements you have. I have aftermarket struts and aftermarket heavy duty coils in my Brumby originally fitted to 85 GLTA 4WD sedan.

Factory, the coils were handed, and marked with up to three different colour paint daubs on the coil itself in pink, lime, white, blue  , yellow, so may help if those supplying you measures also declare the paint daub coded, top colour first, then read down

Currently, I am working with my my 77 Coupe, and the springs I have now are the Kia Sephia springs. My current ground clearance is about 11 inches, but I am also running 15 inch toyota wheels with redone subaru hubs.  The whole.car is on a custom frame.

Consequently any numbers I have are not going to jive very well with anything else, and I dont want to get skewed results from giving what I have, and getting a few "ballpark" numbers. I've had that happen a few times and messed me up.

I just need to know if the springs I am using are riding at near where the stock springs on a stock EA82 would ride. All of my suspension geometry *seems* correct,  but without a baseline for the loaded stock spring, They are guesswork, and I am looking for a fail point, and need to eliminate all stock variables before redoing any chassis hardpoints. Listing the color anyone measures would also help. I am looking for some real world numbers, if possible.

Thank you.

- Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, czny said:

From bottom edge of top hat to bottom edge of strut spring perch is 7 inches on my 87 GL. These are Monroe 4WD EA82 struts. 

Springs are Moog and I don't recall the part number. Here's the list in pdf.

moog-spring.pdf

Awesome! Exactly what I needed, thank you Very much, you are clearly the best person here, haha. 

Thank you again,

If you are ever In Sandpoint ID, I'll buy you a beverage.

-Charlie.

Sandpoint ain't that far from Troy MT. ;)

You might read here too:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/119031-suspension-questions/

Can't remember what the latest Moog spring I tried was but I think it was either a CC222 or CC225. I'll have to search some for that info.

Yeah, I drive my little 77 over that way frequently!  

I couldn't find just the loaded ride height in there, that is a write up that I reference regularly. haha. My reading might be off.

I am currently running the KIA springs that were listed as a potential front option, but I seem to be a bit mushy, will try out the slightly stronger ones now that I know the ride height is pretty close. I will be redoing my front towers shortly as well, thank you for the info. 

-Charlie

IIRC Nissan Sentra about 88 yr are close to right OD & relaxed 14 inch length to give a boost in ride height too. Although one more coil will limit travel a little.

Those cc222 & 225 springs are all wrong - I mis-remembered.

Yeah, those come.back discontinued, and for nussan pulsar. 

I am trying to get a bit better response without loosing travel. Most people dont seem to mind, but I am VERY harsh on my vehicles, and going too stiff will end my fun, quickly. 

The weaker Kia springs are close to bang on, they were doing great, until I finished the tube frame, and new bumper. I changed my weight in the front just enough that I am sagging a bit. Did the math, and it came out right, but with very little margin on the weight calc for the spring. So now I'm on the real-World problem solving, the numbers dont alway work. In this case, I'm riding good most the time, but sometimes It'll sag a bit on the front, if I come to a stop quickly it isn't rebounding quite right.

Will try the stronger KIA springs after payday. Likely will fix it now that I know the numbers I pulled were too low. Was riding at 7.5, but She was dropping to 6 in that circumstance. With everything else eliminated, I know its the spring 

-Charlie

1 minute ago, czny said:

More reading with coil & wire diameters, lengths, etc

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/160035-ea81-strut-springs-difinitive-answer/

This is another great example of how much useful information is here. Like I said though, went through these, still couldn't find direct loaded height examples. It usually isn't really needed as much as load values and such, but in my case I needed it to confirm a diagnosis. 

You should swing by next time in Sandplint and I really will get you a beverage, Ive been asking around to get that one dang measurement for a month. 

PM for details.

-Charlie