Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can you tell me about this engine....

Considering purchasing the ea81 in the pic attached.  What can you tell me about it?  What carbs does that look like, etc..... Also, what is a good selling price?  Seller says it was rebuilt and aircraft worthy certified.   I have never owned a Subaru and am considering this for a vw bus project. 

ea81.jpg

Edited by iamadamellsworth

It's not the twin port. Twin port heads have a cooling passage right in the middle and a port to either side. That's a twin carb setup and if it's been rebuilt, it's either the worst rebuild ever or it sat outside for years. My personal opinion based on what I see, not rebuilt and not worth more than $200-$300 bucks and that's only because it's the DC setup. I'd ask him for paperwork.

Skishop, the ea81s didn't have the twin port like the EA82 MPFI. The twin port bit usually referred to the exhaust ports if I'm not mistaken. 

The EA82S is said to be a real screamer and a few levels above the normal EA81.

by the look of that engine you'll need the bell housing and oil filler neck as a minimum to fit it to a vehicle. 

Best of luck with what you do with it!

Cheers

Bennie

I asked for better pics, as to me of that one shot, I cant see the outside casting of the tube where intake air goes to outer intake valves of a standard EA81, which is why I suspected it may be an EA81S

First trick I would be doing is turn it over, next pull spark plugs. Not hard to pull sump for a good look either

On 6 October 2018 at 10:58 AM, skishop69 said:

Nope. The EA81 did have a limited run of dual port intake heads.

Never seen them unless you're talking about the aftermarket RAM heads for light aircraft applications. 

Every other factory EA81 I've seen has single intake ports, including the turbo variants.

Got a pic of this limited run dual intake port EA81 you speak of?

Cheers

Bennie

I had to dig around a bit to find it, and now must say, I was wrong... again. lol They are EA63 heads. It was quite some time ago I saw them and though they are very similar, I'm pretty sure they won't fit an EA81. Can't seem to get the pic to upload, but if you search EA63 heads, you'll see them. My bad. :wacko:

5 hours ago, Subasaurus said:

is that what the EA81 Bell housing area looks like? only ever seen the EA71 and EA82 setups. it just looks really odd and boxy in my opinion, like it's older than a EA71...

No, I think it’s been modified for aviation use. 

The EA81 bell housing looks very similar to the EA82 bell housing ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...