Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 XT DL fuel pump inoperative

Hi, I recently inherited an 86 XT DL, manual trans.  My (now deceased) brother-in-law was driving the car 20 years ago when it died, and no one knows why.  Car has been sitting in a garage for 20 years, now I'm trying to resurrect it.

It cranks over and has spark.  Fuel pump doesn't work.  I've replaced the fuel pump and relay.  I've swapped fuel pump leads both ways.  I've checked fusible links and fuses.  Still no power to fuel pump.

What other things can I check?  Could a bad ECU cause this issue?  How do you know if the ECU is bad?

Thank you all.

You have to check power to the pump while cranking. It will only apply power for about 1.5 seconds when you turn on the key. After that it only powers the pump while cranking or running (tach signal present). 

After sitting for 20 years - very high probability you will need new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and I would be surprised if it didn't need a new tank. 

GD

• Like 1

Could be the ECU.

Mine failed similarly.

Look for 12 volts at the relay coil or ECU pin 19 (blue/red) while cranking to test the ECU.

Make sure the other side of the relay coil is grounded as well.

Also make sure 12V is available at the relay contacts.

I ended up taking power from elsewhere to run the relay.