Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Outback transmission replacement

Have a 01 Outback wagon with a crap autmatic transmission. Going to replace it with a used one. One I can find for a good price is tagged with last 4 digits cdba from either a 01 GT or OB. I'm unsure what's in mine now other than it is a 4.44.

I think this should work but would like confirmation before I pull the trigger on it. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Edited by greg donovan

On 2001 Outbacks )   The 5 speed cars were 4:11) the 4cly cars were 4:44 )the6 cly cars are 4:11

On 2001 Legacy)  non turbo cars 5 speed and auto are 4:11   Won't be a drop in. 

Not sure on turbos.

The id numbers near the starter will, if decoded tell you what you have and what you need.

front and rear final drives must match. Some folks swap in rear diffs with a new trans of different FD. But best to find direct replacement of course.

checked car-part.com? LKQ? maybe try ebay local pick-up and craigslist in case someone is parting-out.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

There are two on car-part.com 100-139 miles away from you.  On is $350, the other is $300.  That is about the right price. Keep your core till it is done and change the spin off filter and drain and fill the donor.  Change the rear main if you can while in there. Some guys say no need, but I always do.  Sometimes they want a core charge, other times no. Ask ahead of time.  Should be a 60-90 day warranty.  I usually pick it up and try to talk them out of it.

• Like 1

make sure the number on your trans and the donor is the same.  Car-part.com will often have them in the description field.  For example, your trans  in your original comment is a TZ1A4ZCCBA.

make sure the replacement is to....and life is good.

3 hours ago, 3Pin said:

make sure the number on your trans and the donor is the same.  Car-part.com will often have them in the description field.  For example, your trans  in your original comment is a TZ1A4ZCCBA.

make sure the replacement is to....and life is good.

Thanks, where did you get that number? I haven't been able to check my car out yet. 

The transmission I have found has this code:

TZ1A4ZCDBA

A Google search says that is from a 02.

Will that work with my 01?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, montana tom said:

No not at all.  Just make sure its the correct trans.  Do not pinch any wires while installing .And DO NOT dent the tranny pan, by jacking with out a 2x4 to spread the weight.

As Tex mentioned only put a subaru filter on the outside of that tranny!

Just discovered used transmission has dented pan? Straighten or replace?

Just realized I can pull pan off old transmission. Duh

Edited by greg donovan