Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 subaru legacy outback

I drove to wichita today and she ran fine all the way there (about 40 or so miles) and everything seemed fine all the way there and most of the way back.

I noticed before I made it home that the CEL was on and I read the codes and first it was misfire on #2 .

after clearing the codes (I didn't get freeze frame data, I'm a bonehead) I instantly got P0264

I have proper voltage at injector 2 but I am not getting a pulse. I don't have a noid light but I checked a known working injector with the light I have and was able to see the pulse.

I was at work while I was trying to sort this out and it got late so I just came home.

I'm really hoping it's not the ECM since I'm really strapped for cash right now and driving my gas guzzler van isn't helping any at all.

anyone have any suggestions or have run into this before then I'm all ears. Thanks

Thanks for responding.  I think I found my problem just a few minutes ago. I was out ohm tracing the wires from the pulse wire from the injector in question and discovered that the engine side wiring harness seems to have a bad connection that seems to be right at the back side of the 16 pin connector.I have replaced the 2.5 with a 2.2 from a 96 and I still have the engine harness from the 2.5 so maybe I'll get lucky with it. I just glanced over it and I'm not sure without a side by side comparison but I think it will work. 

Anybody know if all the sensor connectors are the same plug configuration between the two? Since I am not at the shop with it at this time my lighting situation is less than ideal so I can't visually compare until after work tomorrow 

What an interesting journey this has been. 

I decided to retrace this harness with another meter since I remembered some anomalies I had experienced with my old meter some time back.

I was on the verge of either removing the intake, fuel rails and all associated electronics when at the last minute I decided it would be a good idea to be pretty dang sure before I butchered Mt harnesses or replaced it. 

Turns our that I had an intermittent fault in the #2 fuel injector. Fortunately I kept the ones out of the 2.5 before I trashed it. Due to obvious design differences I have swapped all 4 and this 2.2 is running better than it has since I got it.

Timing kit is on the way and I think I'll be good for quite some time to come 

Edited by Toadspit
Added picture