Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any tips I’m missing for cleaning outer cv joints

I’ve done gobs of CV boots - I just spray the outer joints with cleaner but it’s not fast and I’m not a big fan of sitting in that chemical fog. 

Am I missing any options?

i doubt I’ll get a parts washer and disassembling them wasn’t easy the two times I tried. 

Edited by idosubaru

Haven't cleaned a cv and done a boot in many years now.    On a personal vehicle that you see the boot get ripped and disassemble that day you most likely can  save  the joint. After that I change the axle. 

When a car rolls in my shop now, no way could I afford to change boots. ( I did it all the time in the 1980's) around here with gravel roads the damage is already done before they can drive it here.

To answer your question...   flush with clean solvent and blow out with clean air.   Wear a face shield ... no fumes to speak of but lots of splash. 

I've disassembled outer joints by holding the entire shaft vertical, outer joint pointing up.  Smack it down on a wooden workbench where the cup catches the edge and the weight of the rest of the shaft pulls it out of the c clip. 

Even easier if you have a V corner workbench.  Also... mind where your toes are.

• Like 1