Ultimate Subaru Message Board

23 year old faded rubber trim advice needed

Long story short, bought a 1995 Impreza outback wagon, low miles & straight body but S. FL sun faded the car really bad. I have since got a real nice paint job but rubber trim around glass looks faded & cloudy. Still soft to finger nail pressure & not cracked. I wetted my finger & rubbed but it only darkens a little bit. Anyone tried any long term solution fixes? I don't want to paint rubber. I see quite a bit of lotions claiming to restore, but I'm leery. Hoping someone else with experience could recommend a quality product, for a long term fix. Or am I dreaming for a fantasy that does not exists?    I was tempted to try a big fat permanent black marker.

Seems all remedies are short term.

There is a black trim paint that I’ve used in my dad’s old Ranger and it looks really great almost two years later.

I’ve also fudged with shoe polish and it also looks good but doesn’t hold up more than a few months before it fades some.

If it’s true rubber - which I don’t think it is - there was a recommendation from a member who used Rubber Rejuvenator as she did in the printing industry. I never heard of anyone else trying it but she felt it was the deal.

Thank you all. I doubt I'll change out all the rubber trim pieces, & I'm not a fan of the Armorall myself. Shoe polish sounds interesting. I'm experimenting with a few things now. I'll let you know if anything works to blacken it, but time is the real test after that.

Looks like I must order the 303 stuff. Cant find it locally. The rubber almost reminds me of a vinyl type base. So far black shoe polish darken for a day & back to original fade look next day. Also tried a little purple power, no luck, & tried simple green, no luck. I'll let y'all know when I have some success.