Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat gets stuck in 4th gear

Sometimes when I drive my 84 brat it gets stuck in 4th gear. It takes a lot of strength to pop it out. Sometimes 2 hands. This only happens in 4th gear and not all the time. Seems the longer it’s in 4th gear is when it happens. I just bought the car so I don’t know if this was happening for awhile. I did adjust the clutch so it grabs a little higher. When I bought it the clutch would grab instantly, so I made it higher. The throw out bearing is not riding on the pressure plate, only makes contact when the clutch pedal is pressed. Could it be my pedal needs to be adjusted or something in the trans?

On 10/6/2018 at 4:39 AM, StallonePanerai said:

I will check the bushings. Is it easier to check from underneath the car? I will also change the trans lubricant. Who knows how old it is. 

Easier to check from in the cab imo. But I doubt thats your problem. The 4 speeds are notorious for having issues.

so ..di you get it fixed? I have had to replace a couple trannys that were stuck in 4th gear.we could not get it out of gear. tryed everything...Hope you got it going without too much work..I have a few trannys if you need one...yea the guy spaced and started in 4th gear and that was that !!