Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LED shop lighting

czny

I put LEDs in our basement and what is there to say - it’s a light bulb and it makes light!  They didn’t make a dramatic improvement alone, for my space I would need more/bigger lights to fill out the area for more consistent/detailed work but my basement is storage so I don’t need that. Can dial in the color and brightness you want.  I put a motion detecting one above the storage/freezer area so no switch is needed. 

in the garage/shop I converted/replaced all the 4’ fluorescents to LEDs and they’re awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dual-End-Fluorescent-Replacement-Warehouse/dp/B00SSNPI80/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538883203&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fluorescent+led+replacement&psc=1

Maybe with incadescents it doesn’t matter but They’re not impacted by ambient temps like fluorescents are. 

Edited by idosubaru

8 hours ago, czny said:

oh yeah, i get that, i've upgraded tons of mine to LED, you didn't say you were doing it for efficiency but better lighting. i get that you can get more bright with less/same watts though.

that bulb you picked is going to be awesome, i've got a few like 20 watters or something and they'll make me see red and blue if i stare at them too long.  very sharp. 

• 3 weeks later...

i originally had T8 fluorecent bulbs in my garage but was slowly changing them for LED when they started acting up, unfortunately i discontinued the project due to Lowes and Homedepot discontinuing the Utilitech brand on LED fluorecent T8 replacements, they now carry GE T8's, but the problem is those require electricity from both sides with a ballast even though the ballast doesn't do anything for it but still requires it while the utilitech was wired differently, i gave up on all the nonsense and did this instead.

i ended up just getting 12 light sockets and screwed them to the ceiling ($1.19 each) and buying 12 100W (they are actually 13W Each) LED at 5,000K for my 2 Car garage even though it's 3 cars wide, and it's more than enough, project cost me below $60. way cheaper than those LED T8's or T12's tubes plus the assemblies, and replacing them is super easy incase i ever break one or one goes out years from now, i do have to say it's like a studio now with the amount of lighting, no shadows anywhere either, might have gone too far with it though, but after a few minutes of being in the garage i get used to it.

hope this helps, took me a while to figure out this simple inexpensive solution, works out great and im extremely happy with it, the hardest thing about this project is the wiring but it's not hard, just time consuming.

if you're curious as to how much power this draws...   (12) 100w LED bulbs=156w/120v=1.3A

Edited by Subasaurus

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 7:26 PM, Crazyeights said:

Do you have them yet? How do you like them?

I like them fine. Wasn't enough room at one lamp socket because of rolling door bracket but 3 lamps are just fine.

Before with std LED bulbs. Yeah, cellphone didn't focus well. Vapor from my breath in sub-freezing air confuses camera autofocuspl2Zo6Lbj

After, notice shadows are sharper. po3xJOH0jpnwAVDRaj

Will be hanging 4ft LED lights over work areas too - when I get my benches, machinery, welders & rollaways in place.

21 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

spray painting the interior of the garage white will make a HUGE difference.

After putting insulation & drywall up first. ;)

And an overhead space heater or two.....

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, czny said:

I

Will be hanging 4ft LED lights over work areas too - when I get my benches, machinery, welders & rollaways in place.

I have 6 of the 4 ft. LED fixtures hanging in my single bay garage.   Bi-Mart has them right now for 25.99!  I paid 32.99 last year when they where "on sale"  could have saved 30 bucks but then I'd have not had them all this year lol.

I move them onto the sides of the walls when I do paint spray in there.

1 hour ago, FerGloyale said:

I have 6 of the 4 ft. LED fixtures hanging in my single bay garage.   Bi-Mart has them right now for 25.99!  I paid 32.99 last year when they where "on sale"  could have saved 30 bucks but then I'd have not had them all this year lol.

I move them onto the sides of the walls when I do paint spray in there.

Here are similar 4 ft'ers:

https://www.ruralking.com/4-led-shop-light-5500-lumens?trk_msg=LOJC4K3P74RKJECJNG73V27R9S&trk_contact=E8JCHBIQHA1A29S9VMGK0VU9US&trk_sid=PLKD7MS0MULMETQIPDK531SOHO&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=27100054&utm_campaign=January+2019&utm_content=2019-01-26+Hardware

• 4 weeks later...

true for most people, there still seems to be some studies ongoing for a small number of folks that might 'react' to light flicker. Incandescent filaments have too much mass to cool-off much. Fluorescents might dim to 35% of max. LEDs can dim to under 10% of max so, the effect might be sufficient to cause some subconscious issue with a few people. And if LEDs are used on a circuit with an improper dimmer, there can be other issues.

there's a lot of variables though, spectra, type of circuit control used, intensity, mix of natural light, etc.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

true for most people, there still seems to be some studies ongoing for a small number of folks that might 'react' to light flicker. Incandescent filaments have too much mass to cool-off much. Fluorescents might dim to 35% of max. LEDs can dim to under 10% of max so, the effect might be sufficient to cause some subconscious issue with a few people. And if LEDs are used on a circuit with an improper dimmer, there can be other issues.

there's a lot of variables though, spectra, type of circuit control used, intensity, mix of natural light, etc.

yup, my gf can detect without actually studying it if they're fluorescent or LED converted, it starts giving her a headache if she's in an office place with fluorescent after about 20minutes.

it's like that thing where it's impossible for people to detect atmospheric pressure change in weather on your body, but i feel it in my broken finger and my right hip. My gf feels it on her arm since she broke it 10 years ago.

weird stuff.

there is a fast twitch eye movement called a saccade that can allow for flicker detection above the typical 120hz of room lighting.

something like 1 in 4,000 people may be able to sense flicker as high as 2K . Much depends on the lighting conditions, contrast, etc.

http://theconversation.com/the-scientific-reason-you-dont-like-led-bulbs-and-the-simple-way-to-fix-them-81639

• 1 month later...