Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX to BRAT Compatibility

Hey guys, first time Subaru owner here. Last week I ended up with 2 BRATs, an '82 DL and '85 GL. The body on the '82 is in not quite excellent condition but pretty good from others I've seen. The '85 has some parts the '82 needs but I would not feel comfortable driving it, so I am planning on canabailizing the '85.

I might have the opportunity to buy an '89 RX for a reasonable price. From what I understand, the 5 speed dual range transmission, rear disk brakes, and locking differential should all swap over correct? I just want to make sure before I go too crazy. The plan would be to ditch the turbo EA81and do an early EJ22 swap. Thanks for the help! 

Edited by BRATATAT

The rear discs will swap straight on.

the AWD box (with the locking centre diff) will require some mods for it to fit in - do a search on here for a how to guide. It's basically the same as the PT4wd dual range box swap.

That RX - not an RXII coupe is it? If so the coupe might be worth hanging on to if it's any good ;)

The EJ22 wil be a good swap, but still hang on to the EA81T to swap back in later ;)  Or send it my way :P

Cheers

Bennie

BRATATATtat...what you describe EA82T 5MT disc rear LSD  is exactly what I run in my 89 Brumby - go crazy :) and you will need the EA82 clutch pedal and clutch cable.

Scrounge about for an EA81 body front sway bar from a 4WD auto and space it about 10mm off the body to clear the gearbox if it is an AWD I suspect it is as you mention locking diff.

This not needed if just part time 4WD

It is AWD. Would shaft spline count complicate anything?. The asking price is $1400, and it has 150k on the odometer. I figure getting a lot of the premium parts in one shot might be worth the hours I would save looking for them individually. I just need the seller to get back to me.

One concern I do have--I know RXs aren't exactly common, so am I going to have problems with repairing/replacing any of this stuff? My main concern would be the dual range awd transmission.

If you were in Oz the EJ AWD boxes are good parts sources for everything except the pinion  shaft, rear housing and the locking centre diff.

If it's a 4 door RX I'd be checking to see if the box is actually the AWD or PT4wd. They're easily advertised incorrectly!

If it's a two door RX it'll most likely be the AWD locking box. Personally I'd be keeping this one as we didn't get them over here ;(

The spline count is 25 and the stub is larger than the standard 23 spline unit of the brat and base model loyales... You can make a suitable brat shaft - or swap the diff stubs with the 23 spline units from another PT4wd box. The real issue here is that you need to open up two gearboxes to achieve this. 

Cheers

Bennie

It is the two door and it has the switch on the console for the locking diff. Hmm I may pass on it, the seller isn't very responsive anyway. I mainly want to get away from my current 4 speed box to support the EJ swap, so I think I will just go with a 5MT like everyone else. I feel like unless you are doing some pretty serious offroading the locking diff and rear disks are more about bragging rights than appreciable increased performance. Not that I wouldn't hop on either of the price was right!

Thanks for the input!

With an EJ swap the L's AWD box is worth the effort, especially since they came with the dual range that can easily be swapped to the better L's low of 1.59:1.

the AWD with the EJ makes a huge difference in traction in the wet! Even in general for that matter.

if dual range isn't needed, shove an EJ AWD box in. The conversion is same same but different to the EA 5spd box. 

The rear discs are a neat upgrade over the drums. That said if your rear drums are serviced and working well, you may not notice much of a difference in performance.  Discs seem to require less maintenance. 

Cheers

Bennie