Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GLF Suspension Questions

I picked up a 1982 GLF around a week ago from the original owner. I've gotten it running pretty well, installed new tires, etc, but it is in desperate need of some suspension repair.

I have spent the past couple of days reading as many threads as I could find, and while there is some good info out there, a lot of it seems to be offroad/lift centered. The problem I'm currently having is that it looks like struts for FWD EA81 cars have been discontinued.

So from what I can see, I might have a few options if I can confirm they will work. It looks like EA82 struts will mount up if the 81 strut mount is modified, or if the EA82 mount is used and holes are drilled for the 3 studs. If I can confirm this works, I might go this route. As for FWD EA82 struts, I couldn't find them listed either for 80's cars, but have been able to find them listed for the FWD Loyale Sedan (which should be the same)? I'm using mostly Rock Auto and checking with a local parts distributor for my part listings.

Another thing I found is that 4WD struts are still available. Will 4WD struts work if I use my FWD springs; and if so how will that affect the ride height if any? I'm OK if the ride height is raised if I can also raise the rear to match.

Thanks in advance for any info.

45111166382_29d12cb0ba_b.jpg

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/150805-ea82-front-struts-fit-ea81/

I have a L & R pair of good used KYB FWD ea82 struts complete with springs & mounts you can have for price of shipping.

I cut the brake line tab to make removal easier - just bend it back.

PM your address & I would prefer PayPal if you have an account.

(Lower 48 US states only - in case someone here asks.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, czny said:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/150805-ea82-front-struts-fit-ea81/

I have a L & R pair of good used KYB FWD ea82 struts complete with springs & mounts you can have for price of shipping.

I cut the brake line tab to make removal easier - just bend it back.

PM your address & I would prefer PayPal if you have an account.

(Lower 48 US states only - in case someone here asks.)

Wow, perfect. And very generous offer, pm sent about shipping. 

• 1 year later...

Yes, that is my query. Did you use the EA81 strut mounts or modify the area to use the EA82 strut mounts. More detail is appreciated. Separately, I have ordered Sachs struts for 4WD EA82 models. They should be delivered by Monday. I don't want to modify the strut mount. Hence curious about your details. TIA.