Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale won't start. Backfires

Two hours ago my1991 Loyale just stopped running. Attempt to restart acted like timing was way off and there was backfire. As timing belts were visible (I've been leaving t.b. covers off) I rotated the crank bolt and checked flywheel marks with cam sprockets. All good there, showing that timing belts did not jump. Car running fine, no warning, then stall. Recent history:  I  got some gas just 5 minutes before (Was on empty) . Nobody tampered with car. And - I pulled ignition coil wire and car cranked over normally. Check ECM under dash. No codes. Will check distributor cap and rotor in the morning.

Thanks

Apparently, there are 2 kinds.  The only Subarus I have / had that used a screw to hold the rotor were my 76 and 78.  All of the several EA82 powered models I've owned had the flatted shaft type.  

Is it a different  country  or areas thing that makes one type more common?

Yes. It was the rotor set screw. I'll put blue Loctite on it. That one little screw brought the whole car to be dead in the water. Thanks all for your help and interest. Car has 320k miles. Will drive it to 400k and beyond. Have spare salvage yard complete EA82. Piston walls look ok. Will check oil pump wear (and change gaskets) and have valves cleaned. Will check heads with flat edge. Will put Felpro gaskets on that don't need the re-torque routine. Have a reman cv-axle. Will look for another re-man axle to have in stock. Although the Auto Zone axle has worked for 90k miles now. EA82 is . . . yes, under powered a bit. But I love this car. 5 speed  FWD.

Edited by rickyhils
  • Haha 1