Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
HawaiiBrat

Widest tires on an EA71? -1979 Subaru BRAT-

Hey everyone,

Wondering what the widest tires you could run on an EA71? To be more specific, a 1979 Subaru BRAT on stock 13" inch wheels. I've done some research and see 185/70R13 and 185/80R13 are common choices but very hard to source.  Further into my research 205/60R13 pops up as well but whenever it was mentioned it was for an EA81 vehicle. Can anyone verify 205/60R13 fits on their EA71 vehicle? Post pictures of your setup? I'd appreciate it. I am trying to replicate this look but with the stock 13" inch wheels: https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/149872-1978-subaru-brat/?tab=comments#comment-1256530 I don't need to replicate it this exactly. What I'm mainly looking for is the look where the tires protrude beyond the fenders a bit.

I appreciate your time,

Preston

Edited by HawaiiBrat

i was on 175/60/R13 originally until those tires wore out since i stole them out of a parts car i purchased, now im on 155/85/R13 to help with RPM's on the highway, look like bicycle tires on the road though, but i think 155/60/R13 was the original factory measurement which is hilarious, also where did you source 205/60R13 from? getting hard to find anything R13 tires these days...

1 hour ago, Subasaurus said:

i was on 175/60/R13 originally until those tires wore out since i stole them out of a parts car i purchased, now im on 155/85/R13 to help with RPM's on the highway, look like bicycle tires on the road though, but i think 155/60/R13 was the original factory measurement which is hilarious, also where did you source 205/60R13 from? getting hard to find anything R13 tires these days...

Amazon has a few choices to choose from. I’m just wanting to verify it fits on an EA71. It’s verified it fits on an EA81/EA82. I’m not quite sure the fender difference between the two. 

I have a set of old 4x140 enkeis I was trying to find tires for and being 5.5 inch rims the widest tire that would fit would be a 185. A 205 would go on the rim but the sidewall may be curved in, compromising any benefit of the wider tire. I assume that your rim is also 5.5 wide. Do you want to keep the factory rim or would you like to upgrade? I did the 6 lug conversion on my 79 brat and I'm really happy with it. Opens up a world of tire options.