Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79-84 Wagons vs 85-94? Wagons

So I rebuilt an EJ25 engine for my 2002 Outback...and then I rolled it. It was a traumatic experience, but now I'm emotionally attached to the vehicle for a variety of reasons. (everyone in the accident was fine)

What I'd love to do is take that engine and put it in an older wagon that needs work. I know that's quite a chore, but I could make it happen. I particularly like the looks of the 79-84 model wagons but they are hard to find and they look a bit less roomy than the 85-up wagons. (I liked being able to sleep in the back of my 2002 when camping.)

So my question is, what are the major differences between the '84 model and the '85 model? I know parts are hard to come by for both...anything else to be weary of? 

85 and up (EA82) is a whole lot easier to EJ swap especially if it came SPFI. It also has superior front suspension, transmission, and axles. and not to mention wayyy easier to find parts.

82-84 only upside is the torsion rear end. only because you can gain mad travel. exterior parts are hard to find especially for the 1982.

i have both a brat and a Loyale. I think i’ll take Ea82 over ea81 any day

• 2 weeks later...

The gen 2 (79-83) was around in other variants all the way into the early 90s (though not in the US after about 87 I think ?), so parts are actually pretty easy to find. It has passed from cheap runaround into the first stages of collectible (especially in turbo BRAT form, and to a lesser degree any BRAT or hardtop), while the gen 3 hasn't really reached that point (though the early RX's *will* get there soon).

Gen 3 is superior in terms of interior space (especially if you're 6 ft or over), as well as the comments earlier by alexbuoy (excluding the EA82, which is irrelevant for your plans). You also can fit an EJ25 DOHC (I think your 2002 will have the later SOHC though) in a gen 3 much easier than a gen 2 (gen 2 requires cutting rails, and is terrible for serviceability). Power to weight ratio should make it very lively, and I'd recommend taking the gearbox across to get AWD (doubly so if you went gen 2, as the gen 2 4 speed won't handle an EJ25 for long). You'd really want to take across your brake setup also, which will mean finding XT6 hubs for the rear but otherwise you shouldn't need much.

Thanks everyone! I've acquired a 1993 Loyale Manual Transmission with selectable 4wd. I'm pretty happy with the choice I've made. I appreciate that it has power locks and windows from the get go and that the interior space is very comparable to the 2002 Outback I had. Plus the 4wd button on the gearshift thing is pretty cool...however, I'm still considering swapping in the d/r transmission from an '85 GL. Is that a selectable 4wd like the one I have in the Loyale by the way? I don't quite understand the difference between a selectable 4wd and part-time 4wd. 

On 10/20/2018 at 4:40 PM, dfoyl said:

The gen 2 (79-83) was around in other variants all the way into the early 90s (though not in the US after about 87 I think ?), so parts are actually pretty easy to find. It has passed from cheap runaround into the first stages of collectible (especially in turbo BRAT form, and to a lesser degree any BRAT or hardtop), while the gen 3 hasn't really reached that point (though the early RX's *will* get there soon).

Gen 3 is superior in terms of interior space (especially if you're 6 ft or over), as well as the comments earlier by alexbuoy (excluding the EA82, which is irrelevant for your plans). You also can fit an EJ25 DOHC (I think your 2002 will have the later SOHC though) in a gen 3 much easier than a gen 2 (gen 2 requires cutting rails, and is terrible for serviceability). Power to weight ratio should make it very lively, and I'd recommend taking the gearbox across to get AWD (doubly so if you went gen 2, as the gen 2 4 speed won't handle an EJ25 for long). You'd really want to take across your brake setup also, which will mean finding XT6 hubs for the rear but otherwise you shouldn't need much.

What all is needed to have the AWD? 

I've read the front subframe is an easy swap from the EJ to EA, but the rear would require some serious fabrication. I mostly want the EJ suspension options.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:26 PM, aem0512 said:

Thanks everyone! I've acquired a 1993 Loyale Manual Transmission with selectable 4wd. I'm pretty happy with the choice I've made. I appreciate that it has power locks and windows from the get go and that the interior space is very comparable to the 2002 Outback I had. Plus the 4wd button on the gearshift thing is pretty cool...however, I'm still considering swapping in the d/r transmission from an '85 GL. Is that a selectable 4wd like the one I have in the Loyale by the way? I don't quite understand the difference between a selectable 4wd and part-time 4wd. 

What all is needed to have the AWD? 

I've read the front subframe is an easy swap from the EJ to EA, but the rear would require some serious fabrication. I mostly want the EJ suspension options.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

The Loyale 4WD pushbutton just has FWD and 4WD hi. The GL dualrange have FWD, 4WD hi, and 4WD lo. if you’re trailing it upgrade to dualrange