Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 2.2 into an 04 2.5 Forester swap help please!!

Please can someone tell me for sure if i can swap a ej2.2 sohc engine from a 96 automatic impreza into my m/t 04 Forester with a ej2.5 sohc engine?  Yes i do have the full wire harness and ecu from the impreza as well.  Please let me know ASAP thanks in advance. 

1. Yes, if you plan to replace the ENTIRE harness, it MIGHT work.

2. You likely will have wiring, sensor and all kinds of other headaches. Have you been doing swaps for years and can do it in your sleep?Although everything should bolt together, the wiring is way different, both ON THE ENGINE, ON THE TRANSMISSION and between the ECU, TCU (trans computer), and DASH harness.

3. Likely won't pass emissions testing.

4. Likely will not run correctly.

5.  It's just a bad idea.

6. Main issue is you're 'crossing phases'. '96 is a Phase 1 Subaru electronics; '04 is Phase 2.  

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, 3Pin said:

Don't do it.  It will be a royal mess.  Sell the harness and engine to volkswagon guy looking to do a swap.  Source an engine for the forester instead.  Much easier IMHO.

Explain? Vw guys use 2.2 into a VW?

ON Edit: Disregard question, I found on search.

Edited by bork

That will reduce displacement, and compression or electronics, on a heavier and more ground clearance car.

One guy ran low compression turbo pistons, many said it wouldn’t be drivable, and he said it was fine to drive around. But he didn’t change electronics, vehicle weight or displacement. 

On 10/13/2018 at 1:02 AM, comatosellama said:

Without a turbo that would probably be dangerously slow, the compression ratio would be way low 

Maybe, but theoretically it can be done.

I’m still wondering why you’d want to reduce displacement...

Cheers

Bennie 

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it. I used a CMC machine to make manifold adapter plates so that the original 2.5 intake can be used. Also I needed to shave a few mm of rubber fron the 2.2 timing belt to fit the 2.5 cam and crank gears (those have to be swapped as well) but it works. Kind if shitty in the hole but hauls rump roast above 2800 RPM's. Still not worth it. Gas mileage isn't as good as original 2.5 either. I suppose mine has more tweeking to do but it's much easier to go to the junkyard and get another 2.5. Especially if your's is the non EGR 2.5 variety of 2004 engine. Those are around more and easier than screwing with a custom project unless you just want to play around and whatnot.