Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steep Climbs at Elevations over 9000 ft

Erwick318

We bought a 2018 Crosstrek in April.  Its loaded with every option Subaru offers.   It has about 10500 miles on it now and last weekend, we went to the western side of CO.  I wanted to do the beginning part of Black Bear Pass, but when we started around the first turn off the pavement, I had to put the throttle all the way to the floor and the car was barely moving.  It wasn't spinning or anything, it just ran out of power.  Since the posted warning signs say low range is needed, I figured it got steeper from there, so we turned around and left.  It was very disappointing to say the least.  I also have a Jeep Wrangler and understand off roading just a bit, so my question is, what did I do wrong with the Crosstrek or is there something wrong with it?  I also did some looking on the xmode and dont think that would have made a difference, but not sure.  It just ran out of power, not sure if it is CVT related, elevation related, xmode related, or defective car related.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. We bought the Crosstrek in TX, about 3600 ft above sea level, and BBP is around 9000, I'm guessing.  Any thoughts??