Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Powerless fuses

Hey gang,My daughters 1982 1600 hatch overheated (insert sad face) There is no  power to the radiator fan ...Or the wipers or the heater fan...(insert surprised face)...5 of the fuses on the top bank of the fuse box are powerless..any thoughts,,maybe a rabbit out of the hat fix ha ha,Thanks,The old man

Yes , I took them off and with a test light checked them on the positive post . All good  ... but after that .... All is well . Power to everything.. hmmmm. I can’t let it slide as I don’t want it to get hot again .. I’ll look n see what link goes to what and go from there.. dumb luck ...I followed her for 15 miles and no white smoke so Mabey It didn’t blow a head gasket. Changed the oil . Looked funky. So I will keep at it . Thank you 

no, I meant the ignition switch turns power on / off to some fuses.

Any intermittent, like in the links, etc. could cause those odd failures.

Watch the coolant level VERY closely.  That is the way to detect failing head gaskets. 

White smoke, mixed oil is only signs of VERY blown head gaskets.

Not necessarily the switch.   I was pointing out that some of the fuses won't have 12V on them unless the ignition is on. 

100K miles is no big deal.  36 years is getting up there.  Temperature, humidity and the number of times a switch is used are what wears them.

I am not suggesting blindly replacing anything.  Test, test, test.

If it is an intermittent problem, it could be any number of things.  Any switch, connection, or connector [there are at least a few in the circuit between the battery and the switched fuse feed.  Even a wire can fail.  I have had a couple where the wire breaks inside the insulation, no obvious visible sign on the outside - until you look VERY close.

well i went out this morning and turned the key to on...everything worked, wipers,heater fan and radio...so i started it up and......nada nothing works now....so i gently jiggled the ignition key and wa la  everything works again....so ..think i should replace the ignition switch or just try n clean it with contact cleaner..anyone had this problem ?? Thank you 

4 hours ago, old sub freak said:

well i went out this morning and turned the key to on...everything worked, wipers,heater fan and radio...so i started it up and......nada nothing works now....so i gently jiggled the ignition key and wa la  everything works again....so ..think i should replace the ignition switch or just try n clean it with contact cleaner..anyone had this problem ?? Thank you 

Could be the stakes holding the ign sw insulator together have come undone. IF your 82 switch is built similarly then it could be an easy fix. Daub a little JB weld in 3 places around the outside when you get done re-staking the shell on so it doesn't happen again. Had the same thing happen to me in my 87 GL. Shoot some contact cleaner in the switch too.

See here:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/167527-no-power-to-the-ignition/