Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just picked up a 03 legacy L (AT) that Needs a motor well the guy kept the ej25 with the harness that sits on top of motor.. now I have a 99 legacy gt (MT) with a ej22 I looked at the wiring on the 2.2 the main 3 plugs coming out of the firewall are different can I just get a harness from the local junkyard from another 03 and plug and play or are plugs ends going to be different  thank u for looking at my problem. P.s I am not switching the Trans. just motor both motors are SOHC and look exactly the same  except for the three plugs that come from firewall to top of engine 

Edited by Brownguy3617
Forgot some more info for help

Well I can tell you that the cam and crank sensors can be  different between auto and manual trannys no matter which motor you use.   And they are very different motors.   The 99 2.2 leaves a lot to be desired,it is an interference motor and it has oil use issues ... it doesn't hold a candle to the 96 -90 non interference motor.  

I would get a 2002 -04  2.5 for it.  

Edited by montana tom

34 minutes ago, montana tom said:

Well I can tell you that the cam and crank sensors are different between auto and manual trannys no matter which motor you use.   And they are very different motors.   

That’s not true by itself. EJ swaps are done all the time regardless of auto or manual. I’ve done them multiple times as well. You can also look up part numbers on Subaru website to verify this. 

5 hours ago, Brownguy3617 said:

I have a 99 legacy gt (MT) with a ej22 I looked at the wiring on the 2.2 the main 3 plugs coming out of the firewall are different

That is not a possible combination from Subaru so you need to clarify something *first*.  It may have confused Montana tom. 

A 99 GT came with a Phase I EJ25. 

A 99 legacy came with Phase II EJ22. 

Your description could sound like a Phase I or Phase II.  Phase II would easily work in your 2003 but a Phase I does not, without additional work and issues  

since the plugs are different we can assume this was a 2.5 GT and swapped to a 2.2 at some point.  So that is likely a 95-99 EJ22  95 would have dual port exhaust.  96-98 has single port. 

So no you can’t easiky swap that  intakes do not swap.  You can’t put a Phase II intake on a Phase I the holes don’t line up.  

1. You can install the 2003 Phase II wiring harness into the Phase I EJ22.  It leaves you with improper idle control though you need to work around and maybe check engine lights I forget  

2.  You can install Phase 2 heads and then bolt on a Phase II intake manifold  that’s the easiest and cleanest way with no workarounds needed.  Any 99-01 EJ22 heads and manifold.  Any 00-04 EJ heads and intake.  

if there are can and crank issues as Montana tom mentioned that will be easily worked around by swapping the cam and crank sprocket, not the sensors.  It’s easy - but don’t even think about that until you determine what you’re going to use and which option above you choose  decide that first before the sprocket diffeneves  that’s really easy