Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Subaru Legacy outback 2.5l head gasket or cylinder head

The issues I am having with this car is that I am losing both oil and coolant and there is no leaks that I can find (no oil or coolant on the ground) I have looked up both the signs of a bad head gasket and cylinder head and can’t figure out which one. Also my catalytic converter is starting to take a spoob on me. I am seeing all the signs of either the gasket or cylinder head but can’t figure out which one. Also I seem that I can’t find a video showing me how to change these. Can’t afford a mechanic. 

You’ll need to check the coolant for hydrocarbon gases. Check with your local Advance or AutoZone to see if they have such a tester and report back your results. The 98 EJ25 engine was very prone to HG leaks so it’s highly likely that the missing coolant is from that. As far as a video showing how to replace the HG there are videos but you must understand this is not a beginner type job as you are literally disassembling the top half of the engine and then putting it back together.

chris - folks here will need more detail to help you.

car new to you? how well maintained in the past? any recent wrecks or work done? is the CEL on? what code(s) are stored? How quickly does the oil or other fluids drop in volume? 5spd or auto trans? miles on car? how does it run and drive?

etc.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Do an EJ22 or EJ18 swap.  Plug and play easy, I have a write up about it. Ive bought an EJ18 before for $150 in car-part.com and ran it hundreds of thousands of miles in place of an EJ25.  Look at my write up to determine which engines work and any needed work arounds  it’s really easy - easier than a head job  

you should diagnosis it properly first.  Pressure test the cooling system, leak down test and compression test in that order. Compression test is nearly useless on that engine for anyone familiar with it   If it’s bad enough to fail that it’s obvious it’s the HGs  

if it’s head related Itll be the gaskets and not the heads.  The bigger concern is how badly it’s been overheated in the past (there’s a good chance it was previously overheated badly), this will cause bearings to fail later.

If you want to repair, Use the FSM from Subaru.  Follow directions, ask about anything you need. 

Remove crank pulley, fans, radiator,  drive belts/tensioner pulley, covers and timing belt  

swing AC compressor to the drivers side battery tray area and leave it sit there.  

pull intake manifold and drop exhaust manifold  

remove engine and replace gaskets  

or attempt to do it in the car - have to remove lower 14mm engine mount nuts and jack up one side at a time for access.

remove valve covers then heads.

reaurface heads and use Subaru gaskets