Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback limited doors won't unlock with key

greg,

When the locks get to that stage, the only solution is to pull the inner door panel and track down the issue.

Either the lock tumbler needs replacing, the clip for the rod tumbler to the lock has broken, that same rod is bent, or the lock mechanism has corroded and needs replacing.

A trip to a wrecking yard will get replacements.

Gene

if the lock will not turn at all, chances are you will need to pull them out and either replace the tumbler with a working used one (either another key, or have a locksmith reset the pins to work with your current key)

you "might" be able to free them up with a good penetrating lube and working at it a little at a time, but they will seize up again unless they get used regularly - ie: daily

guessing that this car had a remote fob so the key locks did not actually get used. They tend to seize up when they don't actually get used.

Thanks guys.

I just picked this up Monday. Only came with one key. No keyfob. Talked to the dealer and according to Vin it did not have keyless. But it does have a non functional alarm that must've had some kind of aftermarket keyless. I'm also wondering if the car may have had ignition replaced and this key just doesn't work in the doors. I think I will try to have a key cut from the Vin and try that. Next steps will be to pull the door apart. 

Sometimes dealers and private sellers keep key fobs to sell, It's possible the seller didn't realize that the key didn't work the doors because they always used the key fob.

I bought a used car at a dealership once (not Subaru - as if it makes a difference) and got 1 fob. When I balked at purchasing a 2nd one for $60 from them I argued they should supply 2 since the car originally came with 2. The used car salesman took a few minutes and mysteriously "found" the other one that had been "misplaced". I think he got nervous when I started to complain a bit and got spooked that the manager would get involved only to find out he pocketed the other one.

Edited by Suzam