Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No power to ignition

Hello all,

This just recently popped up. A couple days ago my 85 GL died and all the instruments went out. The car turned over but didn't start. I played with the key and finally got everything to come back on and the car started. Drive it since then just fine then today it happened again but this time it's not coming back. When I turn the key all they way, noting comes on for the ignition, no dash lights, no windows, fuel pump, etc.. The stereo comes on and all the accessories work. The car will turn over all day, but it won't start. I checked my fuses. All looked good. What could this be? 

58 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Fuses can be open with a microscopic crack,  you need to check for voltages.  Check for power getting to the various engine systems.  ECU, coil, etc.

I checked for voltage at the ign fuse, didn't get anything. I took apart the steering column and checked voltage at the key switch. Was close to 20 V. Power to the starter, but not to the other wires. Could this switch issues? Are there any relays I can check. 

I'm not 100% sure on an 85.

Do you have a FSM schematic?  If not there may be one online?

Some fuses are after the ignition switch.  There are a few connectors in the circuits also.

If you had power at the switch, but couldn't find anything after the switch, measuring right at the switch, that does not sound good for the switch...  Of course, you tried it in the various positions.

11 hours ago, DaveT said:

I'm not 100% sure on an 85.

Do you have a FSM schematic?  If not there may be one online?

Some fuses are after the ignition switch.  There are a few connectors in the circuits also.

If you had power at the switch, but couldn't find anything after the switch, measuring right at the switch, that does not sound good for the switch...  Of course, you tried it in the various positions.

Yes there was power to the switch. When I turn the key, I get accessory power, and power to the starter, but no ignition power. I tried jumping the wire, but nothing happened. Looks like I gotta trace some wires yay!! 

• 2 weeks later...

If jumping power to the black ignition switch wire doesn't help solve the issue then the next check I would say is the Ignition Relay. It should be located under the dash, upper left side. Try tapping on it with a screw driver handle to see if that will help make contact. If that works, replace the relay. The trouble you described makes it seem like a relay issue.

I don't know how you got near a twenty volt reading. If that is really true then you need to replace the alternator immediately.