Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi folks,

Some may recognize my from the Outback forum. Just trying to reach a broader audience since this is a seemingly model agnostic issue I'm having. The short back story is I replaced the suction hose o-ring on my 09 Outback back in January, and through many trials and screw ups on my part, my steering has continued to be problematic. In a rough historical order, the following has been done:

-Replaced suction o-ring (x2) (OEM)

-Replaced suction hose fitting (OEM)

-Replaced suction hose (3rd party, Sunsong)

-Replaced steering rack (OEM junkyard from Legacy w/ 50K miles)

-Replaced reservoir (OEM junkyard piece)

-Replaced suction hose clamp (OEM)

-Replaced reservoir return hose (3rd party, Sunsong)

-Replaced pump (OEM, new)

Here's a schematic.

So as you can see, I've just about replaced it all, aside from the high pressure feed line and rack output line. I've now done the bleed procedure so many times my neighbors think I'm crazy. Been using Castrol Transmax Import Multi (DEXRON III H rated, manual calls for DEXRON III).

Current symptoms: Difficult steering when parked/low speeds. Significant feedback when going over bumps at low speed. At highway speeds, steering feels 'floaty' and unstable. Bubbles can be seen in reservoir, but they are somewhat sparse. No foaming, does not look carbonated.

Right now I'm not sure what the culprit is- the air or the rack?

Air I know I'm not supposed to have any air, but I imagine it gets in there anyway and it's not significant like I've had in the past. I am leery of the suction hose since it's 3rd party- it was fairly easy to slide onto the suction fitting but seems to have clamped down just fine. I replaced the reservoir after hearing of a user with a crack which introduced air. My understanding is air will not enter on the 'unpressurized half' of the system. Should I consider replacing the rack return hose? I don't know  how to track down where else the air is getting in from.

Rack I'm having a hard to finding out what damaged rack symptoms are aside from leaking (this one does not leak). I have been running it for 4-5 months, I have seen no evidence of leaks. Car is was salvaged from was not in a wreck (I was told blown motor).

This has been plaguing me for almost a year now to the point of driving me to offload the car... so if y'all can help me fix it, I'll be a very happy fellow. 

Edited by sternman318

there is more to steering than just the power steering unit and the rack...

what I don't see mentioned is if the tie rod ends or ball joints have been checked, or the front struts/tophats for that matter... the struts DO turn on a bearing in the tophat.

any of those components being worn out can give you unstable steering feel.

check ALL components related to to steering. Then make a diagnoses. Currently you are only looking at a portion of it.

eta: don't forget the steering column, either.. there are joints there that can wear out...

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

Good points heartless. I feel fairly confident I can rule those out, they've been checked in the process... Tie rod ends, inner tie rods, steering column u joint, rack mounts checked, top hats are new, alignment done recently. Front end certainly isn't pristine, but I feel the magnitude of the issues are greater than any slack in the suspension components.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, sternman318 said:

Good points heartless. I feel fairly confident I can rule those out, they've been checked in the process... Tie rod ends, inner tie rods, steering column u joint, rack mounts checked, top hats are new, alignment done recently. Front end certainly isn't pristine, but I feel the magnitude of the issues are greater than any slack in the suspension components.

struts themselves?? you mention every thing else, but not those...

worn out struts can cause some weird issues. also that spacer that Texan mentioned.. not uncomon to get them installed wrong.. small end should be this way / \,

not this way \ /

but then again, if the shop that did the alignment is worth its salt, they would have said something about worn struts..

just trying to cover all the bases here.. it is pretty rare to have steering rack issues.

Edited by heartless