Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket wheels on 2019 STI

My girl got a 2019 STI last month to replace her aging 2004 WRX that was developing a number of problems.  Car will need snow tires for winter, and 235/35 19 or 245/35 19 ( factory sizes ) pretty much have zero avilable, and going to a 225/40/19 which has a few tires available will run about $300 each installed.

Then I got looking, and going to a 225/45/18 is right at the same diamater as the 245/35/19 and good snow tires can be had for $150...  cheap 18" wheel choices in 5x114.3 are vast.  Is there any reason a basic 18x8.5" with +35 offset won't work on a 2019 STI? I found some nice looking ones for $420/4. I know she should have TPMS sensors, but that's not a problem. I have an ATEQ TPM Quickset that my boss was nice and gave me cause he couldn't figure it out, and 4 sensors are like $50

18" steel wheels with studs for the winter. If she accidentally slides into a curb the steel wheels will save her suspension. Alloys will DESTROY the under carriage and bend EVERYTHING. Steel wheels will just flex or bend in half - saving your suspension and cradles. And really - the salt will just eat the hell out of nice alloys. Anyone that rocks nice alloys on salted winter roads is just stupid. You can't go any smaller than 18 without hitting the calipers. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I couldn't find any steel 18" that would clear the brakes. Seems a lot just run cheap aftermarket wheels because of it. So had to get the cheap alloys. They were like $450 shipped. I'm sure they will bend on impact and save the car should that happen.

Do you know what frequency the 2019 STI TPMS runs at? I've read 433mhz but Tire rack and Fastwrx both show a 315mhz as being correct. I can't find sensors for it from Subaru to cross a part number, only the $108 control box

Reason being, the Autel TS401 is available on Amazon with 4 433mhz MX sensors included for $159. That gets a $139 programmer for about $50 if I can use the 433 mhz sensors. Then I could just clone the stock sensors id's, or use the programmer in conjunction with the TPM quickset