Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale OEM CV axles?

I just got a '93 Loyale Manual 4wd. The right axle has the typical inner boot split, but it is also clicking on turns. 

1. How can I tell if it is the OEM axle? The rears have the green paint but the fronts don't. 

2. Should I try to purchase a reman or a new aftermarket axle? Or should I just try to repack with grease and reboot the one I have?

I did some searching but couldn't find a clear answer to either. 

it's so old, I wouldn't necessarily expect original axles on the front and you said it clicks so, get a green-cup axles from car-part.com or maybe LKQ w'ever, regrease and boot it if you want . (subaru boot or, maybe, beck-arnley kit)

coin toss risk would be a new aftermarket axle like FEQ or maybe EMPI

a real roulette wheel spin risk is typical parts store rebuilts. I'd only run one in a dire emergency.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

have a look - if you can find a known good axle/not broken boot one to start with, then decide.  if you can't...well then the decision might be made for you...

i've had decent luck repacking noisy axles, but they're axles i know the history of and they were highly quality to start with, not aftermarket. 

if they're aftermarket i'd just move on. 

if Subaru maybe repack them and see.  you can even stuff grease up in there really good by hand and see if the noises change.  if a little grease quiets them up for 10 miles (it slings right back out) then you know it's worth a proper clean/repacking. 

• Like 1