Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first car is an 83 GL Wagon 4WD with 393.000kms!

Hi!

I live in Bogotá Colombia, last weekend I flew to Medellin in order to buy an used Subaru GL Wagon 4WD that was originally registered in my hometown, It was an amazing experience, specially since I had to drive it back to Bogotá about 430kms!

My brother went there on sunday, I picked him from the Airport and started our journey back, 430 kms through the rough Colombian mountains and quite heavy traffic, it took us 11 hours, mainly because a roadblock from rockslide (pictures attached!) we where stuck in traffic for about 4 hours almost stopped.

The vehicle behaved in an amazing way, I'm really glad this Subaru is my first car, I have plans to improve some mechanical fails it has, the front break disks are quite old and worn, the clutch is quite cranky while starting on steep roads.

The car was in an incredible shape, I even had the original Owners Manual, sadly the original FM Radio is damaged and the front rims where modified and are not probably aligned, the rear transmission makes quite a loud noise traveling above 50km/h (is that common? Should I worry?)

That's all for now, I'll try to post some updates and questions that might come up while working on it.

IMG-20181020-WA0006.jpg

DSC_2763.JPG

DSC_2768.JPG

DSC_2770-.jpg

IMG-20181021-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20181021-WA0010 (1).jpg

DSC_2771-.jpg

Sweet ride mate!  I love that colour.

The rear diff might need oil or be damaged from lack of oil. It’s not normally used onroad as these vehicles are front wheel drive until you engage 4wd. So it shouldn’t make any noise on the open road.

The other thing it could be is the rear bearings. Simply jack up a rear wheel off the ground and rotate it. If you hear or feel a rumble from/through the wheel your bearing is needing replacement.

Rust is the real killer of these. Check around/under the windscreen rubber, rear side windows, below the front door hinges (open doors to check) and in the seam behind the spare wheel.

But looking at that wagon I reckon you’re pretty much rust free!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1