Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vanaroo or Subagon?

Hello. I have a 2001 Subaru Legacy that I purchased as a donor car for my Vanagon engine swap. I need to save up for the swap so I hope to nurse this 1100 dollar 148 thousand mile Subi through the next few months. I'm here to learn some stuff and ask some questions, and I will document the engine swap at some point too. I also feel that the wrx is a fun car that I want to buy some day after seeing them for sale while I searched for this donor.

I will need the engine with the power steering pump, the ac compressor and then I need the computer and wiring harness. I will also harvest the 5 speed trans because there is a kit to make it fit the Vanagon from a company called Subaru Gears. The conversion kit is from SmallCar.com and includes a stainless header set, coolant hoses, a bell housing with a integrated throwout bearing, and then a few other do dads.   

I know of Subaru Gears. Good kit from what I’ve seen online. 

If you’re going with the Subaru Gears you shouldn’t need a different bellhousing, just use the Subaru factory flywheel and clutch ;)

You may have a dual mass flywheel on that Legacy. Hunt around for a Gen1 or Gen2 solid mass flywheel. It should be maybe $50 second hand and will bolt straight in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1