Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All:

I have a 1995 Legacy Wagon with 2.2 Manual Transmission.   I need to pull the motor out since my clutch has gone bad (again).

Cruising FB I found a 2002 Outback Automatic with a seized motor.

Can I swap the 2.2 in?   Would I just move over the flex plate to mate with the AT?   I am reading lots of threads about automatic to automatic swaps but nothing with a MT to Automatic.

Any help / thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Find a decent used 2000-2004 2.5 engine and make yourself a car out of the unit with a bad engine.  That 2.2 would fit nice in a 96-99 outback or a 98 forester and up the resale of one of those older units if you can find one by you that is not too rusty.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:03 AM, idosubaru said:

MT/AT doesn't matter on Subaru's.  Yours are the wrong year/phases. 

i wrote a complete guide to EJ22-EJ25 swaps - it details all your options. 

Can you send me the link to the guide.   Was searching threads with no luck.

Thanks,

Tom

You can install the 2.2 if you have time and/or really want to do it. If the engine physically goes together then you just need to move all the electronics.

My concern would be if the ecu from the 95 could send the proper signal to the auto trans? If you had a manual in the ob this would be wham bam. 

Auto would be pretty gutless too

I think the rear diff bolts are the same so you can use the legacy one if necessary. And buy a new clutch and do less burnouts :-) but measure beforehand i guess. 

Then you have to get the wiring haress from the donor car then you can install the 2.2 into your ob. It's a lot of work and you have to be a little electrically inclined. 

It's a pain to remove the harness from the car and i must have spent 25 or 30 hours trimming. If you know electronics then maybe 8 hours i would guess. 

I have an ej22 in my 86 and i trimmed the harness myself.  I was at times a bit lost, but that was my first time really getting into electronics. I literally only had prior electrical experience wiring car stereos and it's really like a big stereo mixed with a maze and some wheres waldo sh!t.

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1