Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 oil pump removal pics

I wonder how many of us keep something on the shelf for "just in case," and it winds up never getting used and thrown in the scrap bin by our kids when we die. 

I guess I'll have to put something in writing for the entire contents of my "parts shed" to be given to the Subi community somehow....... :dead::headbang:

Dan

• Like 1

I too have a few parts motors and wrecks for bits and pieces - my now retired Brumby (from public roads) has 435000 kms on the original engine (I did replace the head gaskets once but I did not really need to as it was a welch plug in one of the heads leaking) the old girl has done an incredible amount of work on only basic maintenance and still starts instantly (although the oil pressure light takes a second or two to go out:)) uses a bit of oil and fouls up number three plug - gets fed our other cars second hand oil and is a bit tappity (cant be bothered adjusting them) - I am sure I will be using it for many years to come as my motorized wheelbarrow. The only other motor I know of to be as reliable is the Mercedes 280 (twin cam) in my now dead W126 (wasn't the motor - that still ran)  --- 380,000 MILES.

9 hours ago, Subasaurus said:

was that to me?
Not really sure now - but - I didn't mean it to sound bad or like any kind of attack.  I tend to think of these things on a component level - oil leaking, replace the seal.  Also, with the parts getting scarcer, anyone else reading might have better luck finding seals.  I have spare pumps, so I tend to think of reseal and swap.  I have not seen any with bad wear or damage that would make replacement necessary.  I have not seen nearly as many as GD however.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 12:07 PM, jono said:

Stallone, do you actually have a new pump? Here in Aus we got the better EA81 oil pump for our harsh conditions so they last longer than the rest of the vehicle. I have had many EA81 with over 300,000 km up to 500,000 km and know of one still going beyond its odometer life at an average of 40,000 km a year. All still the original oil pump. 

Don't believe everything you read or hear. That bit above about an Aus spec oil pump ...my BS moment on the internet :D

My Brumby has 305,000km and I don't think it's had a new oil pump yet.

it will be a case of randomly looking or do you have gumtree in the US yet ? It has a wanted to buy section and worked for me chasing something, though the want ad for an attractive, tall, brunette independently wealthy female with a BMI of 25 has not come to fruition :D

I’ve tried to contact a couple of folks via gumtree. No response. Found two brand new ones via car.gr in Greece, no response. I got a response from a guy with a used one in Greece telling me it’s too expensive to ship.  I wish he’d let me decide how I’ll spend my money! I work at a machine shop, so I’m trying to get one of our proto guys to machine one...