Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever put a block heater into an EA82?

It looks like I'll be installing a battery warmer and block heater this winter. I'm wondering if anyone else has installed one of the block heaters on an EA82?

The ones I've seen look like they just go into the inspection ports/freeze plugs, but I'm not sure if I'd have coolant or oil coming out at me if I removed one of those, I've found some videos of them being installed on newer Subarus online and the port connects to a coolant passage, do you think it'll be the same on an EA82?

I know I've seen a couple guys from Fairbanks on here every now and again, if you see this and you've installed one of these before, let me know!

Freeze plugs by definition connect with the cooling system.   On an EA82 they are under the rocker covers.

I don't get as cold weather here in CT,  but have noticed that synthetic oil helps with cold starts, as it does not get thick as fast.

My Detroit Diesel-powered loader backhoe has a block heater and a battery warmer.   Needs them, because the only thing that fires the fuel is the heat from compression.   I run synthetic in that also, as cranking speed is what makes that heat. 

• 3 months later...

An old thread that I am just now seeing. For either OP or future people on the internet. I installed a 4"x5" heater pad on my EA81 oil pan. Super simple. Just sand away the paint down to bare metal, apply the sticky pad, seal the edges with red RTV. The wire runs through near the radiator and then out the grill. Then it's plugged into a timer. Makes startup on cold days happier.

Edited by pawn_that_dude

• 1 month later...

I've just recently pulled a scrapyard EA82 with a block heater that looked like it screwed right in to the underside of one of the heads, Passenger side I think? Might have been into a freeze plug but I'm not sure. I've seen some VWs that have a type that appears to be some sort of silicone or JB weld sheet that sticks itself to the oil pan, and is a heater blanket in practice. Ask a local parts store and I'm sure they'll help you out.

8 hours ago, PigEqualsBakon said:

I've just recently pulled a scrapyard EA82 with a block heater that looked like it screwed right in to the underside of one of the heads, Passenger side I think? Might have been into a freeze plug but I'm not sure. I've seen some VWs that have a type that appears to be some sort of silicone or JB weld sheet that sticks itself to the oil pan, and is a heater blanket in practice. Ask a local parts store and I'm sure they'll help you out.

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-A0910AS100-Engine-Block-Heater/dp/B00IGZQU1E

Get the 35*F porcelain t-stat adapter there too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U2HD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lead acid battery at 0 degrees F is about 1/4 of the capability of what it can do at 70 degrees F.   So if you are in a cold climate,  it helps.  Battery capacity deteriorates every year, so add that to cold, and the margin gets slimmer still.

Typically not as big a problem on cars, unless you are below zero often, and or a lot below.

I have  a big loader backhoe with a Diesel engine.  The block heater, battery warmer and synthetic oil all help make it possible to get it started in winter.