Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Light modifications for increased off road capability

I own a fully stock Subaru 1.8 5 spd dual range station wagon.

Im curious about light modifications that can be made that don't compromise the build quality and drivability of the car, but increases it's off road capability. Coming from Australia, is a 2 inch suspension lift possible and recommended ?. I haven't found any All terrains that fit 13" rims, does such a thing exist, or do I have to find a larger rim?

DUDE... let me tell you to start searching about the BYB lift kit.... its an Aussie designed kit. I got PK Davis (of Sandiego, California fame) to sell me one of his offical version of that designed kits for my wagon. they had a 2" kit but, I got the 4" kit.

thats a start for ya.

go forth and be fruitful!

BYB don’t make lift kits for these anymore. I doubt you’ll find anyone in Oz making a lift kit for these anymore.

As previously mentioned, a two or three inch lift and 27 inch tyres are the go. 

After that you’ll want an EJ22 to turn those larger wheels better, or sort out a gearbox with foz internals behind the EA82.

Cheers 

Bennie

have you found a limitation so far?

i used to run 14" steel Sunraysia rims that should still be available new from intrepid tyre and rim merchants willing to ring about to source them. Then 185.70.14 tyres might give you a little more clearance. Pretty certain I ran this size

if you venture on to some Facebook groups may find lift kit still available new or previously loved. Have seen a few EA81 and 82 with two inch lifts look hardly noticeable to the average Joe. 

my first mods would be an EJ22 swap. This will help with the next mods. SJR lift 4" with redrilled 6 lug hubs and 27" tires. After that EJ22 swap and lift, it would be a custom suspension with aR154 and transfer case to locker diffs. All this is possible but a jeep will be cheaper lol. On a serious note EJ22 and SJR lift would be great.

8 hours ago, wagons said:

my first mods would be an EJ22 swap. This will help with the next mods. SJR lift 4" with redrilled 6 lug hubs and 27" tires. After that EJ22 swap and lift, it would be a custom suspension with aR154 and transfer case to locker diffs. All this is possible but a jeep will be cheaper lol. On a serious note EJ22 and SJR lift would be great.

Not even a chance that you’d get away with that for long over here!! Traffic authorities would spot it a good mile away :(

Small/mild lift and tasteful mods are the way to go. The EJ22 can be done without drawing attention to your ride ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie