Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 oil pump mounting bolts, Haynes says it should it be 13-15 foot pounds tourque? FEELS TO TIGHT? 10mm bolt heads x M6.. NO WAY!

that's what this "Haynes Manual 890003 (681) pg 2B-2 ©1998" says and I'm probably up to 10~11 and it feels tooo tight - should I go all the way? These are 10mm bolts with M6 thread going into the aluminum block?  Here's the page out of a Haynes manual I'm going from

1432213129_tourquetable20181101_193745_edit1.thumb.jpg.e0592ebdee94949bd63f91c2dfe0f589.jpg

also VERY LEARY that I couldn't find the torque specs for these bolts in either part 1 or 2 of the online 1986 Subaru Subaru EA-82 Service Manuals at http://jdfinley.com/file-downloads/subaru-manuals/

all the engine specs are in 1st manual "Engine section 2-3" page 11-16 and oil pump details are in section 2-4 page 8 has torque specs and the ONLY THING that gets 13-15 foot pounds is the nut the holds on the sprocket - and I think it's a 12 or 13mm nut going onto a steel shaft - no reference to the oil pump housing bolts (except verbal saying assembly is reverse of dis-assembly)? I've also really searched through the topics & posts in this forum.

Thanks!

Edited by Craigar
more details & links

It's brand new ( 3/8" although from HF) and I have a pretty good sense of when a smaller bolt going into aluminum is too tight. Did a 7lb. bolt with it and it felt right (a pair of 10mm M6 holding on the cam seals). Have you torqued down the oil pump on an EA82 to this amount of torque? I think this Haynes manual has a bad typo (or braino) and tried to verify this torque setting in the online manual mentioned above - IT'S NOT In there? very weird! Do you have a manual beside a Haynes that has this info? I even dug through the vids on youtube (including milesfox) nothing definitive - or even anybody putting the pump back into the block

Thanks.

Edited by Craigar

I just pulled out my paper 1990 FSM because I was sure I could find it for you. Oddly, I can't. Every sensor and plug has a torque value, but not the mounting bolts. 

I've done several, and have never had an issue - but - from lessons learned in my past, I am conditioned to not put a 3/8 ratchet on anything 10mm. So I guess my answer is "snug with a 1/4" ratchet." 

EJ's are 5 ft/lbs, so I can't imagine an EA is much, if any more than that. 

Good luck!

Dan

I checked my Chilton and "How to Keep Your Subaru Alive" manuals and neither had a torque specification for the 1.8 or 2.2 liter oil pump mounting bolts.  The "HTKYSA" manual just said make them "good and snug".

Chilton's manual for the 2.7 and 3.3 liter engine says 4-5 ft-lbs.

If I recall when I did mine I used the 4-5 ft-lbs setting.

Edited by Dee2

Thanks Everybody! Thank You GeneralDisorder for the "low down"  - it does NOT appear to be stated in the online Subaru manual ( or the  1990 FSM that BEECHBM69  looked through) so I'll say this "Haynes Manual (890003 (681) " is flat out INCORRECT about this (IMHO) . I would say 95% of all DIY's that follow that Haynes manual torque spec here will strip those holes! Love their line "Every manual is based on a complete teardown and rebuild.."Here's the cover of the manual.

Thanks again, maybe I didn't go too far already (those holes would be really fun to repair with the motor still in the car)

1410108595_haynessubarumsnualcover2980-1994.thumb.jpg.59ae5c9d93879f0639d3c7b402b80c3d.jpg

SHOOT ! Only taken decades for this MISTAKE to be questioned !!

We use Gregories manuals here in Australia and from memory any M6 into aluminium is about the 5 ft lbs and when I feel anal I get out the inch pound torque wrench.

Maybe they meant 3 - 5  ft lbs ??

Every manual based on a complete teardown and rebuild !! So, I guess you would not want their leftovers eh ??

Thanks Dee2,

got me thinking - and "to top it off.. pun intended" the Haynes DOESN'T mention the torque at all for that oil pump drive sprocket nut! Here's the page from the "SubaruEA82-ServiceManualPart1" that does.. They refer to that nut as "T2"

SubaruEA82-ServiceManualPart1-OilPump_2-4_Pg-8z.JPG

Edited by Craigar