Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible Car to purchase looking for advice

Hello,

I just went and looked  at a 2003 Outback   that is for sale....

163,000 miles   2.5L  five speed.

I would like to know what I should be looking out for........

LIKE  what ghosts may lurk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recent  Repairs::::::::

New rotors and pads on the front ...

new pads    on the rear

Rear  Sway bar links

Rear  Exhaust after  Cat is new.....

O2 sensors   (because there was a light on)

An oil change.....

I wonder about the antifreeze(???????????????)

It looks brand new.........  he didn't mention anything about the antifreeze.......

HERE IS THE STORY

Car  was acquired  due  to some kind of business arrangement....(this is what I was told anyway)

Honestly, I feel  spooked a little by this........

Supposedly.......          The sellers Son acquired the vehicle......   They made these fixes to it....

But, they are selling it??????    It is  being sold locally and privately. Not by a dealer......  Just sitting

out in the front of someones yard for sale...(though) not the address/owner of the vehicle.....

So,   it seems weird ..... why dump the money into these couple of repairs.....  and then sell the car?

It currently is not registered.....  though there are stickers on the window.  Which I should take a closer look at......

Asking price is like 1800.00 or best offer... definitely needs a set of tires......

I was figuring   that I would probably have to put a timing belt in.....   (as a good preventative)

What is the timing belt intervals?           Is it  100k out of first belt   then 60K there after ?

OR   is it  60k   for Timing belts  whether or not OEM....???

He said, the oil was changed..   Well, I checked... yeah, It looks like it was changed but, it was low on the dip stick.....

I was thinking I should start it up with the radiator cap off......( the coolant over flow looks pretty clean) not oily

AND.... Overall the car is really really clean... doesn't even stink inside car..  Typical subie rust on rear wheel wells.

Even the engine compartment is really really clean (almost too clean) but, it doesn't really look like someone

went in and cleaned it.......

I have not driven it yet..... Technically, it is not on the road.......   but, It must be driven...........

I started it up...... It has a little bit of an initial Subie knock to it that goes away quickly.....

and the clutch seemed pretty good.

Please give a good read to what I have written...

And let me know what you think...........

And let me know  what I should BEWARE of  and look out for

Thanks, MIcky

Edited by mickytrus

SO like         They  are leakers?

Like   Serious  Drippers  Gushers????

Anything like  the old 1.8L  from the GL DL Loyale era?

Leaking  like  MAD!

What about Internal  Leaks????

Into the    Like    oil into the coolant...

OOOORRRR       Coolant  getting burned in combustion chamber.....

I forgot to mention.....  That the Coolant OverFlow   was filled above  the line.....

(It was higher that what is should be)   Meaning -   looked like it was overfilled recently......

Yeah, I am being paranoid........    But, Seems good reason to be............

Last year...  I was able to get  a 1998..... that needed work.... for about $400.00

I don't mind  doing headgaskets  but,   I would have to get the car for almost nothing

to  make it worth my while............

He said he would let me Jack it up. to look under it..........

HEY, what about cracked heads..... are these  motors inclined to stuff like that?

If I have to walk away from the car...... I don't mind......  I wasn't really looking for a car...

This just sorta  appeared in my view.......    

But, yeah, If you's can give me specifics on this vehicle..... maybe, I can get it for next to nothing....

or just walk away..............   or find that is sits for three months and then  get it for nothing...

THanks, MIcky

Sounds to me like he is a flipper.  Buy a car cheap, put a little $ into it flip it. No record of the sale, he doesn't register or pay taxes.  Feels like a weird transaction at this distance to me. I agree with msmithmmx, you need a test drive and long enough to get it good an up to temp.  I also think you should take it to a mechanic you trust and put it up in the air.  Rear sub frame can be in a problem in ice/snow salt country, axles, wheel bearings, check it all.  Head gaskets &  rear main for sure need to be checked.  Steering rack if it is leaking is a pain in the rump roast to swap out for a new one.  When was the timing belt done last.  You seem pretty knowledgeable and sound like you can do lots yourself, but you don't want to be upside down on this one.

Do all the windows, ac work, Cruise control.....HEATED SEATS IMPORTANT!!!!!  LOL  You get the idea.

Yeah, Very True.

I hate being compromised....  Like having to freakin' drive it around.......    All  under the cover........

Really, feeling like I should let it sit there and see if it.......(sits there).......  there are lot's of deals out there....

I especially like them for nothing...... and at price like what he is asking.... I need to give it a run for it's money...(It's a $400.00 car)

Not up some backroad  and to the turn around and back......   Yeah,  I think I will wait this one out... see what happens....

****         In terms of the era of 2.5L  motors in these Outbacks.....

When did Third Generation Start?       Anything after  (year) 2000?

And in terms of Leaking head gaskets????   or leaks in general

on The Third Gens....   are we just seeing  External leaks...(not Internal)

Thanks ,    Micky

you said they were worn but, are all 4 tires identical? brand/model/size? If not, red flag.

as said, make sure the car is warmed up fully when you test drive, and after it's warm, take it to flat dry pavement and see if it smoothly does tight circles at idle or just above - any jerking grabbing is likely center diff binding, manuals may not show a problem when cold. - red flag

never trust the o'flow bottle to reflect cooling system volume, look in the radiator. And, if it has a typical parts store rad cap instead of Japanese, that could be an issue - maybe the thermostat isn't OEM either.

everyone expects a car to have working brakes, but flipped cars often have the cheapest pads on them. expect them to be poor performing or, at best, they will wear-out quickly.

Timing Belt systems service schedule is 105monts or 105K miles w'ever comes first. Toothed idler is the weak spot but tensioner can be problematic too. Belts hardly ever break unless something else fails first.

if you have a soob-friendly independent shop near your city, consider paying them for a prepurchase inspection.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan