Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Loyale afterlife

The time has come to put my Subie out to pasture. It is still running strong like most Subaru's are when they are retired around here but the rust has taken hold.  But before it gets crushed I have a final purpose for it. I intend to take it to my boat access only cottage and use it as a utility vehicle for hauling firewood from the back of the lot and pulling a boat trailer up the beach. My model has dual range 4WD, will never travel more than 1/8 of a mile and will likely never go over 10 mph. The ground is rough so bigger tires would be a plus and I'm considering removing the gas tank and plumbing in a boat style day tank located where the passenger seat used to be. This will protect it from rocks, fuel going stale from lack of use (easier to drain), and rust. My questions are; ( 1) Other than the fuel line to the fuel pump and the return line which could be plumbed into the plastic tank are there any other considerations? ( 2) I've read here that larger wheels can be put on a Subie by getting 6 bolt rims and drilling 2 holes to match the 4 bolt pattern. I'm not interested in doing any fender modification. Which model and size of rim would be best for this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaveT said:

Kind of a side issue, but mice will infest it if they live in the area.    Good idea about the fuel tank.

i don't understand why everyone says mice will infest and eat through wires if a car is left sitting say in a backyard, is this like an up north thing?

i've never encountered this problem after many years of cars sitting in different places, my own backyard, parents backyards, when i buy a car that's been sitting in a field for 10years+, only issue i've ever come across was Wasps, yellow and red types, still not sure if im allergic to them....

Must be something about where we vs mice are.   Here they are a major threat to anything left outside.    I've had them  damage wires, lucky the car didn't catch fire.  Build nests in the entire hvac system.  They pull the fuzz from under the carpets and stuff it into the ducts, blower, anywhere.  And bring in acorns,etc.    Leave pee and poo everywhere.  I'm in CT,  so they definitely look for places to get out of the cold.

• Like 1

On the 6 lug, any 80s era smaller utility like Ford Courier should be fine as a wheel donor. Generally you'll end up with a lower positive offset (ie. wheels will stick out of the wheelwells more). 14" or 15" are both relatively easy to find and good for suitable off-road tires.