Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifting in and out of 4wd

6 hours ago, Skierman19 said:

From what ive heard the 4wd hi is for snow and mud, but im still confused on the use of 4wd lo and the speeds you can use it at

Give it a try, and use it as you'd like. It's just another gear. Clutch in to shift between it (can be done moving or otherwise). Just watch the tach, as the rpms will come much quicker than in hi-range. Although your valves will float before you can do any damage to an EA82 anyway....

As long as you are going in a straight line, you can shift from 2HI to 4HI and back at just about any speed you like.  Just back off on the gas when you do.  Clutch works too, but is not necessary.  I have no experience with 4LO.

If your tires are not all the same size, it will stick in 4HI.  If this happens, it is time to rotate the tires to even the wear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robm2 said:

As long as you are going in a straight line, you can shift from 2HI to 4HI and back at just about any speed you like.  Just back off on the gas when you do.  Clutch works too, but is not necessary.  I have no experience with 4LO.

If your tires are not all the same size, it will stick in 4HI.  If this happens, it is time to rotate the tires to even the wear.

Yeah Bugger the 40/50mph stuff. I’ve slipped into 4wd from 2wd at higher speeds than that (100/110kmph) without issues. Just do it in a straight line. 

With the tyres, if you’re running different sizes or even same size, different brand/tyre model you may have binding issues that will lock it in 4wd - or make the car feel really unstable when that binding tension is released through one wheel. Not fun on snow I can tell you that!

Cheers 

Bennie