Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Brat, thinking about doing a lift...

I've recently come across a 1984 Brat, after not having one for nearly 10 years.  I spent all summer putting it all back together, looking for parts, and making it run good.  I've got that all taken care of now apart from a feel details, it runs, drives, and is road worthy. Now that, that is out of the way, I've been playing with the idea of putting some bigger tires on it.  I have 15" alloy pugs on the car right now with 195/55R15 winter tires. This keeps the speedometer and millage more or less accurate.

I was thinking of going with some 215/75R15 (diameter ~27.6") BF Goodrich All terrains KO2's at some point and a 3" lift. However I want to keep the speedo, and odometer accurate. I've been playing with the idea of maybe changing the gear ratios of the front & rear diff, or looking for some kind of little gear box that attaches to the speed cable and corrects it for the difference in tire size.  I've heard rumors you can cram a 4.11 gear set into these diff cases with some heavy modifications?

The car right now still has all stock drive train in it, ea81, with a 4spd d/r transmission, 3.9 diff ratios. I have a healthy weber on top of the ea81 which is fun. I'm probably going to do the 5spd swap if/when I lift the car.  Just thoughts and brain storming right now, this project is probably a year or two out yet.  Car has significant under body damage and some rust, so that's why I'm considering just using it as a lifted custom rig.