Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old School Subies and Synthetic Lubricants

I used full synthetic oil for the first few changes after rebuilding the top end of my EA82 when I first bought it, and it leaked considerably worse than regular motor oil does, so now I just use regular. (Granted it was my first engine rebuild ever and I could have just done a better job and my leaks would be considerably smaller). It did run a little more nicely when it was cold in the winter with the synthetic stuff, which was nice.

Just my two cents

I never had any Turbos.  I've run Amsoil 100% synthetic since the late 80s.  And their ATF and gear lube.

If it leaks, reseal it.  Over 150K and or 10 years old, due anyway.

Most noticeable thing is when they are cold, shifting is better - both the auto and standard shift.

I run their bypass filters also. 

Amsoil synthetic in everything I own. EA81, EJ's.... my 86 Trans Am LB9 305 V8. Lawn Mower (Honda), Robin (Subaru) powered pressure washer..... 

Leaky gaskets actually leak because there's no sludge or varnish in the engine to stop up the holes. If it leaks - reseal it. 

If you want the junk to last - Amsoil goes a long way toward making that happen. 

GD

20 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If you want the junk to last - Amsoil goes a long way toward making that happen. 

GD

My engines are more a work of art than junk but thank you for the opinion anyway. I don't trash your "Junk" whatever it is :D

Edited by Crazyeights

What GD said' if it leaks with synthetic you need to reseal it or didn't seal it correctly to start with. I've done that and had to fix it but sealed right the don't leak. I have four vehicles I run synthetic in. I built the engines in three myself and none leak.

Edited by silverhelme

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, franbev said:

Don't EA-81engines need zinc in the oil? Since zinc is no longer an additive in "todays" oil I add it separately.

ZDDP baby, and yes, they need it.  I wouldn't add it separately from the oil, you introduce risk of your additives not playing nice with the oil's additive package...  Just use a quality oil with high ZDDP: Redline/Amsoil/Euro Castrol/etc.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, jono said:

Basic rule of thumb...if the engine is a dinosaur, lubricate it with a dinosaur ! I thought ATF was a synthetic anyway , a hydraulic type of 'oil' that washes away with a little water

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  Dino oil is a thing of the past unless your engine is bleeding oil.  While many modern synthetic oils are not going to play nice in an older engine, a properly formulated synthetic will run circles around any dino oil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  Dino oil is a thing of the past unless your engine is bleeding oil.  While many modern synthetic oils are not going to play nice in an older engine, a properly formulated synthetic will run circles around any dino oil.

Yep. There is a lot of science and work put into new synthetic oils.

it is your " while many modern synthetic oils are not going to play nice in an older engine" that keeps me with what I know.

I am curious as to what synthetics are known to not take bat and ball home with our EA82's though and are the benefits noticeable? Extend oil change intervals etc

8 hours ago, Steptoe said:

it is your " while many modern synthetic oils are not going to play nice in an older engine" that keeps me with what I know.

I am curious as to what synthetics are known to not take bat and ball home with our EA82's though and are the benefits noticeable? Extend oil change intervals etc

It's not so much a brand that you can point to, but it takes some research.  Basically you need to look at oil analysis for a variety of oils and determine which oil has the best additive package for your engine needs.  Flat tappet and older style "high" friction valvetrains are going to want a lot of anti-wear additives, ZDDP, molybdenum, etc.

www.bobistheoilguy.com has a fantastic amount of knowledge and recourses.

For me personally, in my EJ-turbo engines I run Rotella T6 (because its cheap and sold everywhere).  I haven't been driving my old school Subarus enough to require an oil change, thus, I do not yet have a preferred brand of oil for them.