Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3.9 duel range or 4.11or 4.44 whats best gear ratio for a lifted impreza

ferp420

So i am putting together another ddd rig i pulled my loyale off the road due to to many questionable parts and untested designs and i just dont want to risk it on th3 road i have a 3.9 duel range and a 4.11 outback trans and diff and a forester 4.44 set up the forester is going to be the doner rig the outback is getting a new trans also im planning on running around 30" tires and some bumpers and what not i also have a 2000 2.2 to port and polish and mod out for the imp it should be a great daily driven desert runner i have to traval around a mile through the ohv park to get to my house so i need something that can take the woops at speed cross big sand canyons and dry creaks and light rock running day in day out and thats just getting to town my big truck has a problem getting stuck all the time some times 3 times a trip not a big deal but time consuming and it burns alot of gas just running to the store the plan is to swap all the suspention from the forester use the 15" rims from the outback and swap the trans for better gear ratios i probably wont lift it any more.than just the forseter parts to save gas inshould be moving in to the new house in a month or 2 so i should have plenty of room and time to finnish all my builds like my loyale and the outback and my scout and the imp lol i dont wan5 to move the forester so its off to the crusher unless some one wants it with out its suspention its engine or trans the body is still solid and in good shape there wasent any rust or dents last i looked at it full leather interior too it was just a horable off roader and i dont want t deal with it anymore

Edited by ferp420

• 1 month later...

If you say the Forester is a horrible offroader, why do you want to turn your loyale into a downgradeed body Forester?

I mean that's what you would have if you swap all yer suspension?

And the GL rear unibody is really not engineered to support the macpherson type strut design of the Forester rear end.  You will need HEAVY crossbracing.

Seems like you'd be better off lifting the forester.  

Of course I really can't understand what yer goal is because you write as one unbroken run on sentence.  I know you are childishly stubborn about no punctuating ANYTHING.  It's very annoying to read your posts.  

• Like 1

Gloyale, I think he’s building an Impreza going by the title...

And I suspect the 3:9 ratio dual range is the part time (selectable) 4wd gearbox from the loyale?

If so, your best bet is to use this box.  If the diff ratio isn’t low enough, lift it higher and run a divorced T-case aka a “Sammy T-case”.

If the 3.9 dual range is full time 4wd then I’d recommend swapping the diff ratio to 4.44 ratio. You may have to shave some meat from the crown wheel to clear the low range gears. Well worth the effort! 

^ this can only be done if that dual range box is AWD. If pt4wd there’s no place for the AWD pinion shaft. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, Numbchux said:

Punctuation is cool. I'd love to help, but I have no idea wtf you're asking.

OP don't care, you should have seen his signature last year!  I've just stopped reading anything he posts because I can't be bothered to decipher the wall of text.  :horse:

Fair go fellas. Some people may not have been given the opportunity to learn about these sorts of things. 

Trust me I know - I work in a trauma informed education setting and we have teenagers that read and/or write at a grade 2/3 level of at all.. add in their complex behaviours due to the trauma they’ve experienced (ranges from abuse to lack of food, inattention, being around drunk/drug affected adults, no secure place to live/sleep etc). 

I’ll wait for a reply to see what ferp comes back with, then we’ll go from there. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

im building up my impreza

as far as grammer goes ill just never get it kinda lik3 names and faces but numbers dates and shapes i get i passed high school in 2 years but could never get english i was in every alturnitive class that passed for english credits my jounior class teacher and my senior year english teachers wrote my essay so i could pass the profincency exams but i had a b+ avaerage when i graduated but english waz a d every class no matter how hard i try im retiered now so i dont give a darn anymore sorry

anyway im building up my imp

scraping the forester i hate that rig the auto sucks and its way to heavy the suspention is brand new though and i have no problems robing the gears and the suspention out of it

the duel range is out of a ea82

the impreza is gona be a cruzer mostly just back roads in johnson valley i just need some ground clearence im looking at 215/75/15

the loyale is now off road only some day ill actualy drive it again its getting a solid axle for the rear end and ej front struts when i get around to it ive been working on my new houses mostly full time so no time for toys

grammers for girls and school teachers 

get over it

Edited by ferp420

the question is in the title and if you cant figure that out i dont want your answers 

the rest of the thread dosent mater

anyway i got a plan

thanks for all the help ill be sure to post up a very long discription of the build 

grammers for girls

Edited by ferp420

• 9 months later...

So i am putting together another dd rig. I pulled my loyale off the road due to to many questionable parts,and untested designs, and I just don't want to risk it on the road. I have a 3.9 duel range, and a 4.11 outback trans and diff, and a forester 4.44 set up. The forester is going to be the doner rig, the outback is getting a new trans also im planning on running around 30" tires and some bumpers and what not. I also have a 2000 2.2 to port and polish and mod out for the imp, it should be a great daily driven desert runner. I have to travel around a mile through the ohv park to get to my house so i need something that can take the woops at speed, cross big sand canyons, and dry creaks, and light rock running, day in day out and that's just getting to town. My big truck has a problem getting stuck all the time ,some times 3 times a trip, not a big deal, but time consuming and it burns a lot of gas just running to the store. The plan is to swap all the suspension from the forester, use the 15" rims from the outback ,and swap the trans for better gear ratios. I probably wont lift it any more than just the forester parts to save gas. I should be moving in to the new house in a month or 2, so i should have plenty of room and time to finish all my builds like my loyale, and the outback, and my scout, and the imp. lol. I don't want to move the forester so its off to the crusher unless some one wants it ,sans suspension, engine or trans. The body is still solid and in good shape there wasn't any rust or dents last I looked at it full leather interior too it was just a horrible off roader and i don't want to deal with it anymore.

I edited OP's post to try and make sense of it.From what I cam make out: the loyale  in his signature is sketchy to the max so its parked.He has a forester and an outback.He wants to put the forester suspension under the outback and run 30" tires. Apparently he lives in some god forsaken place that requires a 4wd Baja truck just to get groceries, and wants to build one of the subaru's to do that.

If that's the case than I recommend reading up "making subarus faster offroad". I would also recommend just getting a 4wd truck with IFS and running some decent shocks to handle the high speed sections.

Edited by Uberoo

On 2/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, Uberoo said:

I edited OP's post to try and make sense of it.From what I cam make out: the loyale  in his signature is sketchy to the max so its parked.He has a forester and an outback.He wants to put the forester suspension under the outback and run 30" tires. Apparently he lives in some god forsaken place that requires a 4wd Baja truck just to get groceries, and wants to build one of the subaru's to do that.

If that's the case than I recommend reading up "making subarus faster offroad". I would also recommend just getting a 4wd truck with IFS and running some decent shocks to handle the high speed sections.

thanks for.the edit yo you almost got it the forester suspention is going under the impreza the outback is getting the duel range that i have laying around then getting cut up more than it already is

they just had a major race in my back yard you might have herd of it they call it the king of the hammers i watched the race out my window lol theres some knarly terrain out here thats already crushed my first lift i built it gets beat pretty hard just going to town and back but this place is awsome except for the heat and the cold lol

i dont need a 4wd truck i have a lifted scout with a 6.5 turbo diesel in it a expodition type rig with a pop up camper and a ford f250 tow pig so thats all covered but i dont drive them everyday though ive also been thinking about building up a baja i have a old convertable beetle that i might do something with in time that would be a fun rig out here also

for the imp i started the thread about i setteled on 28" tires and im planning to swap in the 411 gears in this summer i hope the 2"/3" lift is getting changed to a 3/3 i smacked a huge rock the other day and almost destroyed the radiator suport i dident even see it i was climbing a big loose sand hill and smack oh well time for more lift did you see the vid of the imp catching air in the dunes lol i love it you can see the front of the car go up then drop backwards before the front end droped down for a nice smooth landing kind of lol sand dunes you know lol

the loyale is still sitting on the trailer it still runs fine last i checked the darn freeze plug poped again though so i have to pull the valve cover off and put it back in again then pick up some more axles for it and finnish the long arm kit i only built one side so far cause i riped the radius arm off the body it was being held in by one spot weld lol not anymore though all new mounts underneeth i had to be able to move it around so i built one side it drives funny like that for sure i just started diving the other rig but the impreza dosent hold a candle to the old loyale off road so im thinking of getting it going again to play with its to hard to haul rc cars around on the dirtbike and the imp cant go were the loyale can but i try lol

im tryin to get down to just 3 roos only 1 for road use though  2 vws and the ford and the scout i have way to many cars right now and moving them from storage to the house is gona take along time but thats life right hay atleast i have my own house with plenty of land to park them on and everything is payed off so i dont have to work my retiement is enuff to fund most of my projects so what the hay right ill take my time and see how much i can get done before i leave this planet lol

so hay ubaroo if you feel up to it im sure that could use alittle editing and good luck with your new loyale build i hope its as awsome as your old hatch what ever happend to that anyway somthing about a trailer and a tree i dont know anyway enjoy