Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
ferp420

3.9 duel range or 4.11or 4.44 whats best gear ratio for a lifted impreza

So i am putting together another ddd rig i pulled my loyale off the road due to to many questionable parts and untested designs and i just dont want to risk it on th3 road i have a 3.9 duel range and a 4.11 outback trans and diff and a forester 4.44 set up the forester is going to be the doner rig the outback is getting a new trans also im planning on running around 30" tires and some bumpers and what not i also have a 2000 2.2 to port and polish and mod out for the imp it should be a great daily driven desert runner i have to traval around a mile through the ohv park to get to my house so i need something that can take the woops at speed cross big sand canyons and dry creaks and light rock running day in day out and thats just getting to town my big truck has a problem getting stuck all the time some times 3 times a trip not a big deal but time consuming and it burns alot of gas just running to the store the plan is to swap all the suspention from the forester use the 15" rims from the outback and swap the trans for better gear ratios i probably wont lift it any more.than just the forseter parts to save gas inshould be moving in to the new house in a month or 2 so i should have plenty of room and time to finnish all my builds like my loyale and the outback and my scout and the imp lol i dont wan5 to move the forester so its off to the crusher unless some one wants it with out its suspention its engine or trans the body is still solid and in good shape there wasent any rust or dents last i looked at it full leather interior too it was just a horable off roader and i dont want t deal with it anymore

Edited by ferp420

If you say the Forester is a horrible offroader, why do you want to turn your loyale into a downgradeed body Forester?

I mean that's what you would have if you swap all yer suspension?

And the GL rear unibody is really not engineered to support the macpherson type strut design of the Forester rear end.  You will need HEAVY crossbracing.

Seems like you'd be better off lifting the forester.  

Of course I really can't understand what yer goal is because you write as one unbroken run on sentence.  I know you are childishly stubborn about no punctuating ANYTHING.  It's very annoying to read your posts.  

Gloyale, I think he’s building an Impreza going by the title...

And I suspect the 3:9 ratio dual range is the part time (selectable) 4wd gearbox from the loyale?

If so, your best bet is to use this box.  If the diff ratio isn’t low enough, lift it higher and run a divorced T-case aka a “Sammy T-case”.

If the 3.9 dual range is full time 4wd then I’d recommend swapping the diff ratio to 4.44 ratio. You may have to shave some meat from the crown wheel to clear the low range gears. Well worth the effort! 

^ this can only be done if that dual range box is AWD. If pt4wd there’s no place for the AWD pinion shaft. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, Numbchux said:

Punctuation is cool. I'd love to help, but I have no idea wtf you're asking.

OP don't care, you should have seen his signature last year!  I've just stopped reading anything he posts because I can't be bothered to decipher the wall of text.  :horse:

Fair go fellas. Some people may not have been given the opportunity to learn about these sorts of things. 

Trust me I know - I work in a trauma informed education setting and we have teenagers that read and/or write at a grade 2/3 level of at all.. add in their complex behaviours due to the trauma they’ve experienced (ranges from abuse to lack of food, inattention, being around drunk/drug affected adults, no secure place to live/sleep etc). 

I’ll wait for a reply to see what ferp comes back with, then we’ll go from there. 

Cheers 

Bennie