Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle to differential dust shield, source?

So I am replacing my cv axles with remanufactured ones and I notice that the right axle had the metal dust shield and the left side did not.

I went ahead and installed the previous shield onto the new right axle, but my left axle is without one.... I cannot find pictures or source to the exact one that I need with two lips.

Here is a similar photo:

0027396_dust-shield-for-standard-duty-st

FORF880113-3.jpg

GWPicture%202624.jpg

Those aftermarket axles are the questionable parts/liability in that photo, not the dust covers.

Same as Dave - seen them missing and damaged many times. Non issue.

pull a part, junk yard axle with split boots might be cheap, or post in parts wanted forum. I probably have some on the shelf but no time to piddle around.  Or try returning them and asking for a set with shields...but it’s pointless in the end. 

Edited by idosubaru

21 minutes ago, Subuhrue said:

The right side has one and it definitely looks like it protects the differential from dirt and debris getting into the seal but whatever!

theoretically yes, in practice not really.  that aftermarket axle is trash anyway, it will have the FAR higher failure rate than the axle seal.  report back in 100,000 miles. 

i've seen new aftermarket axles blow to pieces, click, vibrate, you name it.  i don't even know how many bad aftermarket axles i've seen and i genearlly avoid them. google it - there is unending issues with subaru aftermarket axles, you could read all day long.  huge liability when they blow apart  at 70 mph on the interestate.  OEM axles never do that. 

how many catastrophic axle seal failures have i seen?  Zero.  it doesn't happen. 

no more need to worry about the dust shields i can tell you that. 

13 hours ago, idosubaru said:

theoretically yes, in practice not really.  that aftermarket axle is trash anyway, it will have the FAR higher failure rate than the axle seal.  report back in 100,000 miles. 

i've seen new aftermarket axles blow to pieces, click, vibrate, you name it.  i don't even know how many bad aftermarket axles i've seen and i genearlly avoid them. google it - there is unending issues with subaru aftermarket axles, you could read all day long.  huge liability when they blow apart  at 70 mph on the interestate.  OEM axles never do that. 

how many catastrophic axle seal failures have i seen?  Zero.  it doesn't happen. 

no more need to worry about the dust shields i can tell you that. 

It's actually an OEM rebuilt axle from a place in Colorado called CVJ axles! High quality.

9 hours ago, Subuhrue said:

It's actually an OEM rebuilt axle from a place in Colorado called CVJ axles! High quality.

great choice.  how much do those run? 

if you were worried about the dust shield you could call them and ask they're probably sitting right next to piles of core, junk axles and could get one for you easy.  i've got some, i just don't have the time.  i've got a few parts to pull for some other people and had surgery a few weeks ago, work , three kids, my own cars...too much going on. 

On 11/15/2018 at 8:05 AM, idosubaru said:

great choice.  how much do those run? 

if you were worried about the dust shield you could call them and ask they're probably sitting right next to piles of core, junk axles and could get one for you easy.  i've got some, i just don't have the time.  i've got a few parts to pull for some other people and had surgery a few weeks ago, work , three kids, my own cars...too much going on. 

The pair was $364 after shipping. Honestly a great price for the quality and knowing their good reputation!

Also it isn't the axle seal, it's the seal on the diff side that seats with the axle.