Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'83 Leone Gear shifting problem

Hi everyone,

I bought a 1983 Leone 1800 4sp EA81 a couple months ago and am loving the suby life. But...

I was recently driving down the highway when my gearbox decided to fail on me. I was in 3rd shifting to 4th but found I couldn't, and now my Leone will only go into to 3rd or neutral.

I had replaced the front drive shafts a couple weeks beforehand (was running in RWD), not sure if that could have something to do with it.

I've tried to do a bit of research but can't find anything conclusive, from what I can gather it's likely my 'shifter linkages' or the bushings?

I'm not very mechanically inclined but very keen to learn and do what I can myself. But if it's a matter of swapping transmission I will happily pay a professional.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this so I can get her back on the road!

Cheers

46173057_10157273630315656_6827183291058094080_n.jpg

I don't think the running in RWD would be the problem.

It's a good idea to get up to speed on doing your own repairs on these 30 + year old cars.  And scrounging your own parts.  Getting hard to find anyone who knows them well enough to do the work properly and or affordably.

Yeah I would definitely like to do it myself, but if it requires changing the gearbox i'll probably get someone else to do it. Will have to source one myself i'd imagine though.

The shifter had a lot of 'slop' the whole time I had it, so was due for a repair but just hadn't gotten around to it.

There is a good chance it is the gearshift linkages - once you get the console and rubber boot off you will soon see any problem - on mine the bolt securing the gearshift to the rod coming out of the gearbox was badly worn (could not get reverse) - but getting a new bolt in there is a PITA - also the base of the gearstick is like a little ball joint - that can get dry and worn out as well and could potentially pop out making it difficult to get any gears - good luck