Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust: Cheaper to weld it or replace it ?

92 Loyale, the pipe between the muffler and mid-pipe separated because the PO had it together with a rusty U bolt.  There is no flange (PO must have hacked it off) , just two raw pipes that were connected via a U bolt. The muffler is in good shape and the pipe feels solid. I do not have the welding gear so I am deciding if I should either take it to a muffler shop or just buy the replacement from mid-pipe on back. The replacement is $256  https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-94-Subaru-Loyale1-8L-Muffler-Exhaust-System/190286893017?hash=item2c4dfb8fd9:g:vLMAAOxycSdRzq5H.

Suggestions?

In CT,  we get snow and road salt.  Decent quality aftermarket exhaust lasts about half as long as oem.  Usually a flange rots off or the catalytic dies.  Or a bracket.

That's why I made my 100% stainless system.   

If I have to do anything that requires any part of the exhaust system moved, it is no big deal to unbolt and move it.

Trying to deal with the muffler and center pipe as one piece?  No way I  want any part of that.

A lot depends on the overall life you think the car will lead with you. If it's in great shape and you plan to keep it for a while, have a custom stainless system built. I want to say the two I've done were around $300 give or take, including the flow master stainless muffler. Not much more than the OEM part you were looking at, and you'll never have to touch it again. 

If it's just a beater, you can probably have a piece welded in for $50. 

Dan

18 hours ago, MR_Loyale said:

92 Loyale, the pipe between the muffler and mid-pipe separated because the PO had it together with a rusty U bolt.  There is no flange (PO must have hacked it off) , just two raw pipes that were connected via a U bolt. The muffler is in good shape and the pipe feels solid. I do not have the welding gear so I am deciding if I should either take it to a muffler shop or just buy the replacement from mid-pipe on back. The replacement is $256  https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-94-Subaru-Loyale1-8L-Muffler-Exhaust-System/190286893017?hash=item2c4dfb8fd9:g:vLMAAOxycSdRzq5H.

Suggestions?

there's a shop around here that routinely welds that back together for $45 - $75 all day long.  that's where i send everyone who comes to me.   but you have to keep calling around until you find someone willing to do it.  it's easy for them - size up, cut, and weld they're done in no time.  just got to find a place willing. 

if there's no compelling reason for a new one, it's worth considering. 

New is nice - then you'll never have to worry about it again.  Although like he said the aftermarket stuff can last just 2-5 years sometimes in the rust prone areas.  I've had exhuast parts shipped from out west - they're like brand new and OEM so they last longer than aftermarket.  but that's a pain too finding someone willing to do that and ship those parts. 

Edited by idosubaru