Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 4EAT trans. - Anyone familiar with transfer case?

Please see my video at this link: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11FP39hKrU2XqiSRT4n7GRie5ra_5cdiY/view?usp=sharing

I was experiencing a vibration at speed. It felt like front wheels/bearings/balance... but I would slip it into neutral and it would roll just fine. I figured it was "drive-train" somewhere and took it to a shop for diagnosis. They found a torn boot and told me that 1/2 axle was bad and causing vibration and that when I slipped it into neutral it took the torque off the axle and allowed it to re-center itself and spin freely. I started installing new axles and seals. When I removed the driver side retaining plate to replace the seal, the axle stub just clunked to the bottom of the opening (unlike passenger side which had stayed centered in the hole...) - Please watch my video and let me know what you think has happened inside the case. Thanks!!

only 11 views and no response yet...  :-(  (I'm in an anxious mood on this one as I have to decide if I'm going to get up in the morning and cancel my order for a new transmission...). On the Outback forum, I may be learning that perhaps there is nothing wrong with my transfer case.  Where are the gearheads on this board??   ;-)

Thanks

Hi Chuck;  That is the differential , transfer is with sliding clutches further back. 

I can't get your video to come up .

I have not pulled that retainer to  change out the seal before, always just popped it out and tapped in a new one. Now that its to late, I should mention that those seals almost never go bad.

I would definitely attempt to reassemble  before I order a new transmission.

Where did you get your replacement axles?  Never never get a re-manufactured one. Must are coming out of china. Even many new ones are coming from there. They have been known to vibrate right out of the box.  

2 hours ago, montana tom said:

I have not pulled that retainer to  change out the seal before, always just popped it out and tapped in a new one. Now that its to late, I should mention that those seals almost never go bad

What vehicles did you pull and tap in?  All Subaru automatic side differential seals prior to 2005 require removing the retainer plate to replace the seal.  
Those seals do occasionally develop a slow leak. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

What vehicles did you pull and tap in?  All Subaru automatic side differential seals prior to 2005 require removing the retainer plate to replace the seal.  
Those seals do occasionally develop a slow leak. 

yup - and for both of your interests...  I did find this video:  (There's still hope!  ;-)  ).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck1234 said:

yup - and for both of your interests...  I did find this video:  (There's still hope!  ;-)  ).

somewhere on this forum peopel have mentioned which aftermarket tool to buy and modify for the retainer plate.  you could probably find it by searchign.